The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Intentional Fouls in Last Minute

On those intentional fouls in the last minute or so of the game.... How about on any non-shooting foul in the last minute there is 1 shot and the offense gets the ball back. (True intentionals would still be 2 shots + ball.)

With all the good ideas here, what would it take to get the rules committee to read this????
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 01:20am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
and the note in the book that over the back, and reaching in are not fouls. Put it on the cover!!
Why put this in the rule book? Referees already know this - and since it is in the contracts of all coaches that they specifically do not come within 100 feet of a rule book, it would not make any difference.
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Lightbulb Reply

How about speeding up the game by in the bonus situation
on the 7th team foul no 1 and 1,We only would be in the bonus situation on the 10th team foul and we would shoot only 2 shots.There would be less stoppage of play for shhoting free throws.
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Why does the game need to be speeded up?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Reply

Let me re-phrase that not to speed up the game, but to keep the game moving!
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

How about in a situation where A1 commits his 5th personel foul(federation rules)and B2 is awarded two free throws.While we are waiting for A1's coach to make a substitution(in most cases they use this time as a time out)for A1,We could shoot the first free throw instead of standing around waiting while the coaches use up the 30 seconds to make a substitution.This would help to keep the game moving.
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 04:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cool The game is fine.

We need to just call the game by the rules, use common sense when needed and have fun. The game is fine the way it is, let us just leave it alone.

I am not saying I am objecting to the current rules changes, but constantly changing rules that have nothing to do with the game or affect the outcome. I really do not know too many officials that would give only 2 points if a player tossed the ball up behind the 3 point line. And unless you had kids playing constantly above the rim, which is not always as common at the HS level, you would rarely ever see this play.

The game is fine, let us just play.

Peace
Old Wed May 16, 2001, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

My two cents worth ..

My suggested rule changes have to do with things we now have to worry about that have little to do with the game on the court:

1. All timeouts should be 45 seconds in length. I also agree with the earlier comment that coaches should not be allowed to call timeouts. Having to check with coaches on whether they want a full or a thirty, and discussing if they can sit down would be avoided.

2. Do away with the coaching box. It is what they say and do not where they say and do it that we should be worried about. Maybe the NCAA version of endline to 28 ft. line would be OK.

3. Play two 16 minute halves instead of four 8 minute quarters. The thought here is attain two fewer game interruptions, two fewer opportunities for the "auto horn" to be off, two fewer slowdowns holding the ball for a last second shot, two fewer worthless heave-hos from 70 feet, and two fewer "did the shot beat the buzzer" opportunities.

4. Eliminate the jump ball to start the game. Go with a coin toss instead. Too many things can go wrong on the opening tip and it sets a bad tone for the game. Use AP to start overtime. This change would save coaching/practice time/effort as well.

That's all I can dream up for now.

Old Wed May 16, 2001, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: My two cents worth ..

Quote:
Originally posted by rpwall

4. Eliminate the jump ball to start the game. Go with a coin toss instead....

Just give it to the visiting team and away we go! (No "Hea-tails" to work through.)
Old Fri May 18, 2001, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I disagree. There just wouldnt be something right aabout an opening throw-in. And knowing how things go in a HS game it would get messed up worse than the opening tip does now.