The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody see or hear about this game? If it's already been posted about, forgive me and feel free to delete the thread.

BGSU at Va Tech, tie score in the final seconds. BGSU player attempts a shot with about 2 seconds left. It is no good and bounces off the rim. Va Tech player in an attempt to rebound, bats the ball. After the bat, the horn sounds. After the horn, the ball goes through the hoop. Officials gave BGSU a basket and the victory. Oops.

ACC head of officials John Clougherty called Va Tech later on to issue an apology.

Just goes to show that sometimes the big guys can make mistakes, too.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I think somebody posted a link to the video of that play. As I recall, it was easy to tell that the ball went in after the horn, but was very difficult to tell who had tapped the ball toward the basket. If it had been an offensive player, then obviously, it would've been good. Tough spot for the officials.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Where have I seen this situation before? At least I got it right in your email! Goulet!!!!
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I think somebody posted a link to the video of that play. As I recall, it was easy to tell that the ball went in after the horn, but was very difficult to tell who had tapped the ball toward the basket. If it had been an offensive player, then obviously, it would've been good. Tough spot for the officials.
Hmmmm....I don't see this sitch in there, but if there was uncertainty I think they could have justified gong to the monitor. Don't you?

2-5-2 At the end of either half or at the end of any extra period, the officials after making a call on the playing court shall use replay equipment, videotape or television monitoring that is located on a designated courtside table (i.e., within approximately 3 to 12 feet of the playing court), when such equipment is available, to:

a. Determine whether a try for field goal at or near the expiration of time in the first half was released before the reading of 0.00 on the game clock (refer to 5-7.2.b);

b. Ascertain whether a try for field goal that will determine the outcome of a game (win, lose, tie), and was attempted at or near the expiration of the game clock, was released before the reading of 0.00 on the game clock (refer to 5-7.2.b);

c. Determine, with the reading of 0.00 on the game clock, whether a shot-clock violation occurred at or near the expiration of time in the first half;

d. Ascertain, with the reading of 0.00 on the game clock, whether a shot-clock violation occurred at or near the expiration of time when it may determine the outcome of the game (win, lose or tie).
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Post Monitor

The officials, no matter waht the situation, should have gone to the monitor at the end. It is now protocol to do this. I have not seen the replay on it but obviously, it was not an attempt for goal and when the horn sounded, the ball became dead. If the refs did go to the monitor, it probably would have clearly shown the result. Even if they thought they were right, in this case it sounds like they weren't, the monitor would have confirmed their call.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Just to back the guys in the game up, the monitor could not be used because the game was not being televised therefore the guys could not have gone to the monitor.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Just to back the guys in the game up, the monitor could not be used because the game was not being televised therefore the guys could not have gone to the monitor.
Uhhmmmmm....no. The rules do not say where the video has to go.

They just say how we can use it if available.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan, Look at the rule closer...

2-5-2 At the end of either half or at the end of any extra period, the officials after making a call on the playing court shall use replay equipment, videotape or television monitoring that is located on a designated courtside table (i.e., within approximately 3 to 12 feet of the playing court), when such equipment is available,

Since the game in question was not on television, there was likely no monitor at courtside, or anywhere else “within approximately 3 to 12 feet of the playing court.” Local TV Cameras shooting for the 11 o’clock news and the home team’s video are usually not hooked up to monitors and many times they are set up in the top row of the bleachers or along the endline.

This, of course, does not change the fact that the officials apparently erred. I do suspect, however, that the refs would have looked at a replay if it were possible and legal to do so.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGrillo
quote:

Dan, Look at the rule closer...

2-5-2 At the end of either half or at the end of any extra period, the officials after making a call on the playing court shall use replay equipment, videotape or television monitoring that is located on a designated courtside table (i.e., within approximately 3 to 12 feet of the playing court), when such equipment is available,

Since the game in question was not on television, there was likely no monitor at courtside, or anywhere else “within approximately 3 to 12 feet of the playing court.” Local TV Cameras shooting for the 11 o’clock news and the home team’s video are usually not hooked up to monitors and many times they are set up in the top row of the bleachers or along the endline.

This, of course, does not change the fact that the officials apparently erred. I do suspect, however, that the refs would have looked at a replay if it were possible and legal to do so.
Jim, I agree there's not likely to be a monitor if the game isn't broadcast. I was just pointing out it's not a requirement for the game to be broadcast for a monitor to be available under the rules (IOW I was playing the part of the smug know-it-all )
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/23194

And I think there is another thread here with a link to the video.