The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Post Mass

In Mass we have 2 16 minute halfs which is equivalent to the NHFS 8 minute quarters. As for 3 person, we only have one conference that has gone to 3 person crews. It is a catholic school conference. Our whole State Tourney is 3 person though. My first HS game is not till Dec 5th. Football Playoffs still on going.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hey there, Massref. Welcome to the forum. From your comment about the Catholic league going 3-whistle, I'm guessing that you're in or near Boston? I'm out near Springfield. Glad to see somebody else from MA here.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

MA

Yes from the Boston Area....The Catholic Conference went to three person....only schools that can afford it I guess...No idea what the game fees are?
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: MA

Quote:
Originally posted by Massref3
Yes from the Boston Area....The Catholic Conference went to three person....only schools that can afford it I guess...No idea what the game fees are?
Right now, the game fees are negotiated between each conference and each individual officials' association. As soon as the Basketball Committee of the MIAA approves 3-person crews for the regular season, the Game Officials Committee of the MIAA is going to recommend that a full game fee be given to each official in a 3-person crew.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BBallfanatic
Tonight I have my first varsity game. It should be one of the better games of the area.
Is it your first ever varsity game? Or first this year?
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

first one ever... I'm typing this as just getting home from it. Let me tell you... It was great! It was an exciting game from the get go... It ended up being like an 8-point difference at the end. Both teams had lots of players to rotate. As for me, my partner said I did an excellent job and that he was happy to choose me to fill in and will use me any time he needs someone. The coaches were very good... No problems... I was lucky to have this game as my first... Even though I know not all games go like this :-)
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
first one ever... I'm typing this as just getting home from it. Let me tell you... It was great! It was an exciting game from the get go... It ended up being like an 8-point difference at the end. Both teams had lots of players to rotate. As for me, my partner said I did an excellent job and that he was happy to choose me to fill in and will use me any time he needs someone. The coaches were very good... No problems... I was lucky to have this game as my first... Even though I know not all games go like this :-)
Careful - you're gonna start wanting to do this more often.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
It doesn't matter which game is your first, because the first is always like that. You never forget it.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 10:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Tonight I have my first varsity game. It should be one of the better games of the area. 1 team is slated to go to state and has all their starters returning while the other team has quite a bit of height and speed. I'm looking forward to it and I'll let you know what happened :-)
I turned back three games to take my family on vacation, so my first game is tonight. Boys varsity nonconference, the first 3-person HS game I've worked in the state of Wisconsin (I work about a dozen boys varsity games a year in IL and they are all 3-person, but 3-person is just trickling into my area of WI for varsity games). Then because of a scheduling quirk and my company's annual big convention, I don't have another game until December 9th.
68-59, the home team led wire-to-wire, but it was a close game until the end.

They really moved up and down the court last night. All 3 of us mentioned after the game that this was a game that screamed out for a 3-person crew. And even though I hadn't worked anything but a day of games at a clinic since March, I thought we all called a darned good game.

Just one strange thing: I made one call through the lane as a lead on a drive coming from C's primary, but I didn't have much of a choice. Driver flattened the defender and I waited as long as I could, but I had to pick up the charge. I saw the whole thing as the A player drove right towards the lane, so I saw him as I was picking up the post players in my primary.

It's nice to get the first one in and know I still remember how to do this -- after working 100 baseball games and 30 football games, I have to look up how many timeouts the teams get before the first game

I'm glad to see there's at least one state behind WI, though. In 2007-08, all playoff games will be worked 3-person (state tourney this year and sectionals+state next year). Most schools are OK with us working 3 if we'll accept 2 game checks. We're doing this as much as possible, because I think there's a selling job we need to do to the coaches and schools as they think that (1) 3 are unnecessary or (2) we'll call lots more fouls with 3, when actually, we don't call any more, but we don't have to guess, either.

18 minute halves? Don't give WI any ideas.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
[B]
Quote:
Quote:
Tonight I have my first varsity game. It should be one of the better games of the area. 1 team is slated to go to state and has all their starters returning while the other team has quite a bit of height and speed. I'm looking forward to it and I'll let you know what happened :-)
I turned back three games to take my family on vacation, so my first game is tonight. Boys varsity nonconference, the first 3-person HS game I've worked in the state of Wisconsin (I work about a dozen boys varsity games a year in IL and they are all 3-person, but 3-person is just trickling into my area of WI for varsity games). Then because of a scheduling quirk and my company's annual big convention, I don't have another game until December 9th.

They really moved up and down the court last night. All 3 of us mentioned after the game that this was a game that screamed out for a 3-person crew. And even though I hadn't worked anything but a day of games at a clinic since March, I thought we all called a darned good game.

Just one strange thing: I made one call through the lane as a lead on a drive coming from C's primary, but I didn't have much of a choice. Driver flattened the defender and I waited as long as I could, but I had to pick up the charge. I saw the whole thing as the A player drove right towards the lane, so I saw him as I was picking up the post players in my primary.

It's nice to get the first one in and know I still remember how to do this -- after working 100 baseball games and 30 football games, I have to look up how many timeouts the teams get before the first game

I'm glad to see there's at least one state behind WI, though. In 2007-08, all playoff games will be worked 3-person (state tourney this year and sectionals+state next year). Most schools are OK with us working 3 if we'll accept 2 game checks. We're doing this as much as possible, because I think there's a selling job we need to do to the coaches and schools as they think that (1) 3 are unnecessary or (2) we'll call lots more fouls with 3, when actually, we don't call any more, but we don't have to guess, either.

Rich,

We are doing the same north of you. Saturday we had a coach that did not like it that it is being used in non-conference games because "this game is just as important as the others to us"

Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mj
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rich,

We are doing the same north of you. Saturday we had a coach that did not like it that it is being used in non-conference games because "this game is just as important as the others to us"

Then he should demand 3 for all the conference games, too. It's amazing the coaches' mentality on this -- how can anyone possibly think that a 2-person crew can do a better job than a good 3-person crew? We had no more fouls last night than we would've had with 2 and we had better looks at some of the contact we passed on (verticality, especially).

We had Beaver Dam vs. Sheboygan North last night. Nice gym, nice teams. Coaches fairly typical, although the visiting coach didn't like that his team committed the first 6 fouls of the second half.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

I'm also a MN ref although I work in the Twin Cities. I had my first varsity game of the season last night (actually a JV/V tilt) and it was really nice to get back on the court. Like many have expressed previously, we worked as a 2 man crew last night although about 1/3 of the games I'm working this year will be 3 person crews.

Its interesting to hear that Rochester has such a shortage of qualified BB refs. Here in the Twin Cities you have to wait about 5 years before you start to receive varsity contests. Living in the southern metro area I would be more than happy to help out my neighbors to the south by working games in your area. As an aside, my son has been reffing games for 5 years now and next year he'll be going to college in Rochester. He would love to get hooked up with a good association to work games down there. Are there any you can recommend so I can start to grease the skids for him?

Thanks and have a GREAT season everyone!
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE][/B]

Then he should demand 3 for all the conference games, too. It's amazing the coaches' mentality on this -- how can anyone possibly think that a 2-person crew can do a better job than a good 3-person crew? We had no more fouls last night than we would've had with 2 and we had better looks at some of the contact we passed on (verticality, especially).

We had Beaver Dam vs. Sheboygan North last night. Nice gym, nice teams. Coaches fairly typical, although the visiting coach didn't like that his team committed the first 6 fouls of the second half. [/B][/QUOTE]

We called 33 fouls in our game. This coach has an attitude about everything. He has a hell of team though.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

MN BB Ref, I'm not sure Trigger really meant we have a shortage of qualified officials, just that we don't have enough numbers to do 3-person for all of our games, if all schools went to 3 person. We have approximately 50-60 varsity officials in our association but on some busy nights only have a few officials not working. Many officials limit their availabilty or work some college games, so all officials are not available every night. We primarily do class A and AA games and not all of these games have the level of competition/skill that requires 3 person crews.

Tell your son to check out the contact info on the MSHSL web site for the Rochester Area Officials Association under basketball here http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/sofficial...iationlist.asp
There are also associations in Winona and Adams/Austin. I was a former assignor for our association and there were only 1 or 2 cases when I needed to get assistance from one of the other associations.

Fell free to contact me via email for more info.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Red. I'll be in touch!