The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 09:49am
MABO Member

Situation: NCAA rules

A1 drives to basket and is fouled and goes down briefly looking like he might be hurt. Coach rushes to baseline to see if player is ok and helps A1 off the floor. A1 brushes coach aside and goes back onto the court. At no time did the coach get beckoned to the player or did he enter the playing surface.

Question?

Does the player have to be substituted? What reference can I check? Is there a penalty that the coach should have received?

Thanks, I think I may have booted this situation this weekend.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
If the coach stays on the sideline and just goes down to the endline, then he/she is still in the coaching box. Play on.

If the coach comes around the corner off the sideline so that he/she is standing behind the basket, then the player needs to be replaced unless the coach takes a timeout.

Rule 3-14: A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any other bench personnel is beckoned and/or comes on to the playing court shall be directed to leave the playing court once the extent of the injury has been ascertained unless a timeout is requested by and granted to his or her team.

No penalty to the coach in either case.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 10:08am
MABO Member

Ok, I booted it. Guess I owe a coach an appology.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

If he came out, the player has to go whether he wants to or not, unless the time out is taken! If you give the coach a T for leaving the bench area, then you would of probably had to give him his 2nd one and send him to the locker room!!! Usually when a player is down and the coach comes to check on him/her, just start beckoning and leave it at that, and ask is he going to take a time out to leave him/her in the game!! Save a lot of headaches that way!
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 10:15am
MABO Member

Thats just it, The coach never came onto the floor just went around the end line. He was definately out of the coaches box though. I guess my thought at the moment was if it had happened at his bench and he helped himthe same way I wouldnt have needed to get a sub so.....

Bottom line I can admit I made a mistake.

Smokey