The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the play: (ncaa men's rules)

A1 ends his dribble and makes a legitimate pass to A2, after the ball has left A1's hands A2 zigs when he should have zagged and does not recieve the pass. A1 runs after the ball and is the first to pick it up. Legal? Violation?

Any rules reference or casebook stuff would be great but I can't find any.

I know that you cannot pass to yourself, but in this case A1 was trying to pass to A2. I think this is similar to an "airball" shot in that as long as it is a legitimate attempt then the shooter can go get it. I am also aware of the difference with team control between the two plays as well, but don't know if it really matters.

Thanks
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
Here is the play: (ncaa men's rules)

A1 ends his dribble and makes a legitimate pass to A2, after the ball has left A1's hands A2 zigs when he should have zagged and does not recieve the pass. A1 runs after the ball and is the first to pick it up. Legal? Violation?

Any rules reference or casebook stuff would be great but I can't find any.

I know that you cannot pass to yourself, but in this case A1 was trying to pass to A2. I think this is similar to an "airball" shot in that as long as it is a legitimate attempt then the shooter can go get it. I am also aware of the difference with team control between the two plays as well, but don't know if it really matters.

Thanks
This is an illegal dribble.

Had A1 not dribbled before the pass, they could have retrieved the ball. In that case the errant pass becomes the start of the dribble. In your case it also becomes the start of a new dribble, thus making it a second dribble.

9-5-3 NFHS

9-7-1-C NCAA

[Edited by blindzebra on Nov 24th, 2005 at 01:33 PM]
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you very much