The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Hope you're all having a great Thanksgiving. I need to share a personal moment of thanksgiving with you guys and ladies. One week ago I was getting ready to leave for an IHSA clinic. Ten minutes before I got into the car with my ref buddies, my home phone rings. My sophomore son's wrestling coach called and said he had gotten hurt in practice. He accidentally got slammed into the wall and floor by a 275 pounder (He wrestles at 140 and 145.) Coach thought I might want to come. Then my cell phone rings and it's his former coach and the asst principal. He tells me that my son can't move or even sqeeze his hands. To make a long story short, he had a serious hyper flexion resulting in a spinal cord concussion. He was paralyzed from the neck down for about 1 - 2 hours and had total amnesia. Was transferred to a trauma ER and then kept in Neuro stepdown overnight. He got the movement and memory back, but is still very sore and still has a lot of the typical residual spasms, etc. that follow. He used a wheelchair for a couple of days to get around school and has now graduated to a cane and is walking well. He's become a typical teenage pain in the butt again. Man do I love to hear him argue and complain about stupid stuff again! If you believe in this kind of thing, I ask for your prayers for a full and speedy recovery. I'm thankful for God's provision, the great medical care, & especially for a coach, asst coach, and asst principal who would not leave his side until they knew he was OK. Their presence reassured a scared kid and sure helped two scared parents who couldn't let their kid see the fear that was in their hearts. There are good people out there and good reasons to be thankful.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Glad he's gonna be ok, rev. I'll be keeping a good thought for him.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

God speed to your son and family Rev. You'll be in our prayers and have a great Thanksgiving!!!!
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

This kind of gives a whole new meaning to Thanksgiving.

Good luck - I hope he fully recovers to that pain-in-the-butt teenager stage!

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 09:31pm
M.A.S.H.

May God speed!

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

There certianly are many things to be thankful for....

I frequently marvel at the remarkable (near miraculous) abilities of modern medicine and the amazing resilience of the human body.

You have my prayers for your strength through this difficult time and to your son's speedy and full recovery.
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
There was an excellent column in our paper today, by a columnist whose children were home from college for THanksgiving, and the feelings of gratitude he had to have them. He described his own emotional response to an article about a family who had lost a son to the war, and how they were dreading Thanksgiving.

Our children are truly gifts, even when we're the most angry with them, and when there are the injuries, problems, deaths, we see even more how much we cherish them.

Rev, I'm glad your own is on the mend. I'll be praying for God's supporting hand beneath you as the situation unfolds.