Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I jsut ran across this.
In the referee manual it says this
"When, a shot for a field goal, the ball is completly above the level of the ring, on its downward flight and before it touches the ring or it is evident that it shall touch it, an offensive player may not touch the ball (diagram 111)."

I checked the book, not a single word on offensive goaltending (FIBA doesn't give out casebooks so I couldn't check one).
How ever, I remember now, in the european championships, a player (offensive) caught a 3-point shot and put it in for 2, it would have coutned for three if he hadn't so it was stupid, but he was allowed to do that by the officials.
What should you trust? the book or your excperiences, there is another quote by the way

"During a shot for a field goal, a defensive player touches the ball while its on its downward flight and completly above the level of the ring, before it touches the ring or it is evident that it shall touch it. The trail official shall blow his whistle and indicate that two (2) points are to be credited to the shooting team (diagram 110)."

look at this sentence:
" touches the ring or it is evident that it shall touch it. The trail official shall blow his whistle and indicate that two (2) points are to be credited to the shooting team"

it says 2 points, it doesn't say anything about 3 point shots, either it should say something like:"the respective number of points (2 or 3)" or you should always award two points, even if the shot is from three. What do you say?
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
What do you say?
I say FEEBLE rules are feeble.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

In FIBA, defensive goaltending is a two point award on a two point attempt and a three point award on three point attempt. Offensive goaltending is a violation (no points awarded, ball given to the defensive team).

I don't believe FIBA differs on the goaltending rule to FED or NCAA. Basket interference rule is quite different.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
CZ -- Don't you have a local interpreter or someone like that who you can ask about this? It might be a matter of difference from one area to another. Or there may be something in the book that you havent found, or that you didn't realize applied to this situation. We on this board generally use different rules and different mechanics than you, and we aren't going to be able to help in a lot of cases.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Jar R is correct on Fiba's offensive and defensive goaltending rule. Goaltending rules also apply after the ball hits the backboard.
Fiba does have casebooks available. This is the first year that they have been introduced, I have one.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Seriously.......I admire you guys that can keep up with two or three sets of Rules. How do you do it? I can't get one set right.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I have no interper, the only ref I meet opn weekly basis I don't trust to say things right (I did, and I followed his advice, and got corrected by an elite ref later)

Jay~ that's good, but it doesn't explain the championship call (or rather missed call). it was fibe rules, and three of the best refs in europe, so they wouldn't miss that (hopfully).

I could sure have missed something in the book, but I have read it cover to cover so many times now, not a word, I'm sure.

nick~I'd love a case book if I could find one, but there's nothing here anyway. And on the fiba website they say they don't give out case books
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Crazy,

Regarding the European Championships, I can't say what happened. I did not see it.

Is it possible the shot was obviously going to be short of the basket? No goaltending in that situation. Was it an alley oop pass from the three-point area? Or they just blew the call? I do not know.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Cra Voy, I see that you are from Goteburg, great place, beautiful women, was there many years back when I worked on a Swedish ship from the Swedish East Asia line. Cannot help you with casebook from here, but I do believe it is available from a Canadian website that you can download. I have a copy of it, 997 kb, 2002 edition and can email it to you if you want. Email me and let me know. Cheers