The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Continuous Motion Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23215-continuous-motion-question.html)

David M Thu Nov 17, 2005 07:38am

Watching the Celtics v Sonics last night. Sonics player A1 throws and alley oop pass to A2. Before A2 touches the ball but while in the air he is fouled by B1. He then slams the ball through the basket. After a brief discussion the basket was allowed and A2 was given 1 FT.

My question is under NFHS rules would this constitute continuous motion?

mick Thu Nov 17, 2005 07:47am

Quote:

Originally posted by David M
Watching the Celtics v Sonics last night. Sonics player A1 throws and alley oop pass to A2. <U>Before A2 touches the ball</U> but while in the air he is fouled by B1. He then slams the ball through the basket. After a brief discussion the basket was allowed and A2 was given 1 FT.

David M,
I don't see how Fed can have continous motion before the ball is touched.
mick

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 17, 2005 08:40am

Anybody know if the NBA actually has some kinda rule to cover this particular situation? It would be interesting to see the rationale behind calling someone in the "act of shooting" <b>before</b> they even received a pass. :)

Of course, the alternative is that they maybe just missed the call. That happens too.

bob jenkins Thu Nov 17, 2005 08:44am

Quote:

Watching the Celtics v Sonics last night. Sonics player A1 throws and alley oop pass to A2. Before A2 touches the ball but while in the air he is fouled by B1. He then slams the ball through the basket. After a brief discussion the basket was allowed and A2 was given 1 FT.

6.7 Comment "However, in a tap for goal, the motion does not begin until the ball is touched."

BktBallRef Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Anybody know if the NBA actually has some kinda rule to cover this particular situation? It would be interesting to see the rationale behind calling someone in the "act of shooting" <b>before</b> they even received a pass. :)

Of course, the alternative is that they maybe just missed the call. That happens too.

Agreed. My guess is that they missed the call.

4-XI
A field goal attempt is a player's attempt to shoot the ball into his basket for a field goal. The act of shooting starts when, in the official's judgment, the player has started his shooting motion and continues until the shooting motion ceases and he returns to a normal floor position. It is not essential that the ball leave the shooter's hand. His arm(s) might be held so that he cannot actually make an attempt. The term is also used to include the flight of the ball until it becomes dead or is touched by a player. A tap during a jump ball or rebound is not considered a field goal attempt. However, anytime a live ball is in flight from the playing court, the goal, if made, shall count, even if time expires or the official's whistle sounds. The field goal will not be scored if time on the game clock expires before the ball leaves the player's hand.

mick Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:14am

Hmm.

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Maybe the "shooter" was hit before <U>and</U> after he had the ball, and perhaps the announcer missed that little item.
mick

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:27am

Re: Hmm.

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe the "shooter" was hit before <U>and</U> after he had the ball, and perhaps <font color = red>the announcer</font> missed that little item.
mick

Don't you mean that perhaps David M. missed that little item? :)

The only way we can try to answer is per David's description.

David M Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:32am

Re: Re: Hmm.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe the "shooter" was hit before <U>and</U> after he had the ball, and perhaps <font color = red>the announcer</font> missed that little item.
mick

I was watching and listening. The whistle blew before the ball got to A2.

mick Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:48am

Next question ...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mick

David M,
Why in the world would you watch the Sonics and the Celtics.
It seems thay are both *ics.
[Oh! I just realized the Pistons {an *on team) were off. ;)]
mick

David M Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:50am

Re: Next question ...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mick

David M,
Why in the world would you watch the Sonics and the Celtics.
It seems thay are both *ics.
[Oh! I just realized the Pistons {an *on team) were off. ;)]
mick

I was watching the Celts (no ics) because Duke was completely blowing out Seton Hall.

ChuckElias Thu Nov 17, 2005 01:08pm

Re: Re: Next question ...

Quote:

I was watching the Celts (no ics) because Duke was completely blowing out Seton Hall.
I tuned in to the Duke game when it was 41-11 and tuned out immediately. Although I heard on the radio this morning that Duke got a defensive rebound with less then a minute remaining in the first half, and took a TO to set up a play. Ugh! I think that's probably worse than giving your opponent an uncontested possession. :)

ChuckElias Thu Nov 17, 2005 01:09pm

Re: Hmm.

Quote:

perhaps the announcer missed that little item.
If it was the Boston broadcast, you can bet that Heinsohn missed it. He's such a ref-basher, it's unbelievable.

Kelvin green Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:08pm

I have looked thru the NBA rule book and casebook and cannot find anything that would allow this by the strict definitions of the rule.

That being said--I wonder if they were protecting the receiver/dunker here and penalizing the defense.

I thought about this play and wonder what I would call in any game if the same play happened.

We know it is not continuous motion or continuation but do we want to allow the defense to foul an offensive player who is going for the ball in a vulnerable position like this to get fouled?

If you call the foul, the kid catches the ball mid air and dunks it, it a dead ball dunking....Would any one call this?

If they blew the rule, they will be fined. But I willbe curious to see if the league puts something out on aplay like this. We will have to wait and see.

rainmaker Fri Nov 18, 2005 01:25am

Re: Re: Re: Next question ...

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Although I heard on the radio this morning that Duke got a defensive rebound with less then a minute remaining in the first half, and took a TO to set up a play. Ugh! I think that's probably worse than giving your opponent an uncontested possession. :)
In D1, the definition of sportsmanship is totally different, don't you think?