The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Alrighty, got a call to help do a college scrimmage, but with CBA mechanics to help "game management" in a new arena get ready for the regular season.

Anyone know any links, have any experience with CBA mechanics?

I've sat in on a pre-game and know some of the basic NBA stuff, but would love any help if it's out there.....
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I've never worked in the CBA, but I worked with a CBA official once at camp. We simply used the NBA mechanics. Rotations are pretty much the same. For switches in the frontcourt, the calling official always becomes Trail and the other two officials move to a new position.

Whenever I ask a really basic question like the one I'm about to ask, my wife says, "Why would you ask me that? I'm not stupid!" So let me preface this by saying that I'm sure you're not stupid. But just to cover all our bases, are you sure that you're not using "CCA" (Collegiate Commissioners Association) mechanics? This would make more sense for a college scrimmage. Plus if they wanted the pro mechanics, wouldn't they just have asked for NBA mechanics? Why ask for CBA mechanics? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct in that NBA rules are used, however in the CBA 2 man mechanics are used. There are a few differences in the CBA mechanics to save energy on switches, etc.

That's why I posed the question... thanks for the response!
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

the cba (and the usbl) utilizes 2-man pro mechanics...basically, they use what is called the 'cadillac' position, meaning your left shoulder is always towards the sideline...(both lead and trail)...

in addition, the trail always comes up the middle of the floor in the backcourt, and the lead almost always rotates to ball side in the frontcourt...when this happens, the trail releases his responsibility for post play, moves towards the center of the floor and has 'backside' rebounding responsibility...

it is often when the trail has a loose-ball foul on the opposite side of the floor during a rebound, because the lead had rotated over to take care of post play...

also, with nba rules, you have loose ball fouls, defensive 3 seconds and many other scenarios within the last 2 minutes of games...

as far as shooting fouls, the calling official will report to the table, and go to his cadillac position (left arm sideline)...sometimes it is tableside, sometimes opposite; depending on the side of the floor...

all foul scenarios (non-bonus) are taken at the free throw line extended...only inbounds on the endline is when the ball is out-of-bounds...
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 08:57am
Huck Finn

jr, are you sure about the cadillac position? I thought they always officiated to the left of the ball (or something similar to that). Some of their principles make perfect sense for the two-man game. It is also very important to know where your partner is and is looking in the two-man pro game. One of my friends worked the CBA playoffs last year and he said that is the most intense situation he's ever been in. I would think it's very tough to officiating players that good with two people and the added rules.
The travel is brutal in that league too! I think he is in Idaho or Souix Falls right now.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

First, as a CBA fan, they need a 3 person crew. Two officials "miss" too much. I think it is intended to be that way. More like hockey- and why let the rules get in the way of a high score, run and gun game! Second a 3 person crew would help to keep players and coachesin-line. Again not a priority for the league. A ranting and raving coach and or players makes a great show! You got to love this game.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

tomegun...i was hired by the usbl (same 2-man mechanics as the cba) last year and the director officials called the 'left shoulder to the sideline' technique the cadillac position...

2-man is an incredibly hard game to manage...in leagues like the cba and usbl, you have the best semi-pro or minor league athletes available playing...angles are crucial to getting the call right...AND you run your *** off...

your buddy should be proud of being part of the cba staff...i think there are around 20 cba officials in the u.s....there were around 30 usbl officials last year...