The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Foul shot by A1, the attempt is obviously well short of the basket (airball). As the shot falls below the rim (but before it contacts the floor), B1 steps into the lane.

Is this a lane violation?

4.7.2 says "The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when .. It is apparent the free throw will not be successful.

This was a game situation I had and called the violation. Neither coach protested the call and another foul shot was awarded.

However, was this the correct ruling?
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
From the way you've described it, no violation---the try is over and the ball is dead before B1 stepped into the lane.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Rule 9, Section 1,
ART. 9 . . . A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary, or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (2 inches by 36 inches) designated by a lane-space mark or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (12 inches by 36 inches) designated by a neutral zone.

ART. 10 . . . The restrictions in Articles 6 through 9 apply until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends.

Rule 4, Section 20,
ART. 3 . . . The free throw ends when the try is successful, when it is certain the try will not be successful, when the try touches the floor or any player, or when the ball becomes dead.

Unfortunately, you booted the call that time, but good job on being able to reflect upon the game and seek to improve. Most officials wouldn't even be aware that they had missed that call. You will certainly get it right from now on.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djskinn
Foul shot by A1, the attempt is obviously well short of the basket (airball). As the shot falls below the rim (but before it contacts the floor), B1 steps into the lane.

Is this a lane violation?

4.7.2 says "The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when .. It is apparent the free throw will not be successful.

This was a game situation I had and called the violation. Neither coach protested the call and another foul shot was awarded.

However, was this the correct ruling?
I can see the coaches not protesting the defensive violation (the timing may have been difficult to see), but why was the throw retaken? Since you called the defensive violation, this was a violation by each team and you either go to the arrow or to the NEXT FT.

Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

I can see the coaches not protesting the defensive violation (the timing may have been difficult to see), but why was the throw retaken? Since you called the defensive violation, this was a violation by each team and you either go to the arrow or to the NEXT FT.

[/B][/QUOTE]

This is why I was asking the question. Afterwords I started thinking there was a simultaneous violation (airball and defensive player stepping into the lane).

I don't recall ever having seen a simulataneous violation under these circumstances.

This particular situation was the first attempt of two shots, so we should have just shot the second and not awarded an additional freethrow.