The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

8th grade girls game. Two schools 5 miles apart. Early in the 4th quarter 3 girls dive for a loose ball. Girl from visiting team hits her head on a knee or floor.She is bleeding, has a goose egg, and an eye thats starting to turn black pretty quickly. We stop the game and clear the floor. Ans EMT in the stands comes out to attend to her. I went and asked for the school AD to take them some ice. The teams walk out ready to resume the game. We did. We have a shooting foul in a few seconds and line up to shoot two. I look over and the girl is lying in front of the bench on the floor OOB still being attended to. Home coach walks over and asks us to stop the game until they are through attending to her, which I had already decided to do. I thought they had taken her to thelocker room. Visiting assistant coach says, "Oh yeah, that's real convenient since we're at the line." His player is crying, bleeding, & probably has a mild concussion because she is dazed and confused. We wait for an ambulance to arrive and take her. All the while this clown is upset that we stopped the game with his player at the line. Unbelievable! He told us all more about himself as a human being than he realized that night!
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 08:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Visiting assistant coach says, "Oh yeah, that's real convenient since we're at the line."
Ya' know - that's sounds flagrantly unsportsmanlike to me.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 10:08pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I think a T would have been convenient.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

How quick adults forget we are there for the kids.

It is truly unbelievable....
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

If it were his player who was injured.....
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Real coach story from last week....

Here's my unbelievable story from last week. One of my 8th grade players had mouth surgery two weeks prior to the game (cut lower jaw open, removed bone and some extra teeth,all work inside of mouth). She was released and cleared to play, but it was still sore and the stitches hadn't dissolved.

She got elbowed in the mouth, no bleeding. I took a time out but the refs were kind enough to say it was their time to get her off the floor. Another player shot the foul shots.

Later in the game she went back in. We were up by 35 points with 7 seconds left. She was dribbling the ball, close to an official. Three players on other team run over, start grabbing player and shirt. Ref yelling, no fouls, stop, no fouls. Player gets elbowed again, this time blood flows. Ref blows whistle stops game and tells other team to leave.

Parents of other team come onto court and tell me that she deserved it. They tell me that if she can't take pain or a few "bumps" she shouldn't be playing. Others told me what a rotten coach I was for playing her and that her parents suck for letting her play.

These are 13 year old girls and their parents. It was pretty unbelievable.

Coach G
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buckrog64
It was his player that was injured.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Real coach story from last week....

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgbert
Later in the game she went back in. We were up by 35 points with 7 seconds left. She was dribbling the ball, close to an official. Three players on other team run over, start grabbing player and shirt. Ref yelling, no fouls, stop, no fouls. Player gets elbowed again, this time blood flows. Ref blows whistle stops game and tells other team to leave.
Why did they do this? What else happened that you aren't telling us? They're trying to hurt her because she was hurt earlier?

Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Real coach story from last week....

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Why did they do this? What else happened that you aren't telling us? They're trying to hurt her because she was hurt earlier?
Nothing else happened. I'm not keeping anything to myself. She scored 32 of our 54 points. They were mad since they just beat the undefeated team in our preseason league the hour before. My team is an all guard team, no height, but all running. The more the parents yelled from the stands, the more aggressive the players became.

Coach G.

[Edited by coachgbert on Nov 13th, 2005 at 02:42 PM]
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 02:34pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Real coach story from last week....

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Later in the game she went back in. We were up by 35 points with 7 seconds left.
She scored 32 of our 54 points. They were mad since they just beat the undeafed team in our preseason league the hour before.
Maybe the other team's parents were mad because you had your star player on the floor at the end of a game in a blowout?

Just a thought.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I had my star player on the floor because we only have 6 players on each team. My only sub had to leave before the end of this game (our second of back to back games) due to a family obligation. This is a preseason league where there are no standings, no tournament at the end, etc.

Coach G.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

oops, my bad...sorry.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 04:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by buckrog64
It was his player that was injured.
Home coach had injured player. Visiting @$$. Coach was just that.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

You guys can't read.

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Girl from visiting team hits her head on a knee or floor.

Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

I just got back from working a middle school tournament. The last 3 years I've told myself that I would stop working them, but then every year I get sucked in on a afternoon when I have nothing else to do, so I might as well be making money. I think the main problem is that at that level coaches and parents don't understand that it is a middle school game. Today I had to have a fan talked to and T up a coach for just stupid things. Coach had been complaining all half. My P had a foul on the baseline, coach says right beside me, twice, that just an awful call terrible, just like the rest. Then he looks at me in shock when I T him up. Of course soon after, I see him standing during a full possesion again. I politely tell him he needed to sit. He does and of course gets up again. I would have been more than justified in giving him his second, but this was a booster club tourney, it would have made the game more of a mess than it already was, and it was obvious he didn't know the rules so I politely asked him to sit again. He tells me, "you already told me that" to which I explain that I'm trying to help you because if you are up, by rule I should give him a second T and eject him. This touched home and he finally sat. They just don't seem to understand that the game is much different at that level that it is at the high school level or above. Sorry, I was venting a little there and got off track. As with any level, there are going to be your good nights and bad, it just seems like there's more bad ones at the lower levels.