The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Who is supposed to make the call on a ball going OOB in the corner? It seems good practice to have two whistles acknowledging the ball as gone out-of-bounds, but is there a primary official responsible for the call?
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

It would be the call of whoever has responsibility for that line. I'm not sure if I have ever truly seen a ball go out exactly on a corner. However, sometimes it is so close that both officials will blow the whistle. A good pre-game conference can help this. In any situation where you get a double whistle a good practice is to make eye contact with your partner and, based on your pre-game conference, defer to whoever is going to take the call. Hope this helps.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 07:56am
In Memoriam

T'other night, I was lead, off the end line and tableside. [2-whistle]

The ball rolled to the opposite side on a parallel path to the endline, and about 18" inside the endline, where it was last touched by the defense, and rolled out of bounds on partner's sideline.

Trail Partner blew it dead, started to go to endline to administer, but saw that I was staying. So, he pointed at a spot on the endline and bounced it to the in-thrower.

mick

Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

The ball rolled to the opposite side on a parallel path to the endline, and about 18" inside the endline, where it was last touched by the defense, and rolled out of bounds on partner's sideline.

Trail Partner blew it dead, started to go to endline to administer, but saw that I was staying. So, he pointed at a spot on the endline and bounced it to the in-thrower.
I'm confused here, Mick. What was your partner thinking? Why would he "go to the endline to administer" if you were L? Especially if it went out on the sideline? Was he expecting a switch? If so, why? Brain cramp? Or mechanics with which I'm unfamiliar?
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

I'm confused here, Mick. What was your partner thinking? Why would he "go to the endline to administer" if you were L? Especially if it went out on the sideline? Was he expecting a switch? If so, why? Brain cramp? Or mechanics with which I'm unfamiliar?
Why?
...Exactly.
It is what it is, Chuck. [sigh!]
Perhaps the manual's drawing was not as clear as the words are.
mick
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

We had this happen in my first game of the year. I was lead (two whistles), A1 (white) attempts a pass into my area, ball deflects of A2 and goes OOB on the far corner. I was 100% cetain white touched it last, but if it didn't go out exactly over the corner it was very close. Partner and I both blow our whistles...I hold the call for a moment because I don't want to "call his line" if he plans on making the call...I give him a look and he shurgs. I immediately point in green's direction and give them the ball.

Only took a second or two for this to happen and not a sound came from either coach.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 05:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
We had this happen in my first game of the year. I was lead (two whistles), A1 (white) attempts a pass into my area, ball deflects of A2 and goes OOB on the far corner. I was 100% cetain white touched it last, but if it didn't go out exactly over the corner it was very close. Partner and I both blow our whistles...I hold the call for a moment because I don't want to "call his line" if he plans on making the call...I give him a look and he shurgs. I immediately point in green's direction and give them the ball.

Only took a second or two for this to happen and not a sound came from either coach.
LarryS,
YU.P.
For better, or worse, most coaches do understand the shrug.
mick
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
It would be the call of whoever has responsibility for that line. I'm not sure if I have ever truly seen a ball go out exactly on a corner.
Who's line is it anyway?

There are two lines involved in this....the sideline and endline. Both the lead and trail/center have jurisditoin. The ball is OOB beyond each of thier lines...and I have seen it several times. There is no specified coverage for the corner. As you also said, you have to communicate with your partner just like any other double coverage area.