The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OOB Whose Line Is It? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23123-oob-whose-line.html)

djskinn Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:06pm

Who is supposed to make the call on a ball going OOB in the corner? It seems good practice to have two whistles acknowledging the ball as gone out-of-bounds, but is there a primary official responsible for the call?

johnnyrao Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:02pm

It would be the call of whoever has responsibility for that line. I'm not sure if I have ever truly seen a ball go out exactly on a corner. However, sometimes it is so close that both officials will blow the whistle. A good pre-game conference can help this. In any situation where you get a double whistle a good practice is to make eye contact with your partner and, based on your pre-game conference, defer to whoever is going to take the call. Hope this helps.

mick Fri Nov 11, 2005 07:56am

T'other night, I was lead, off the end line and tableside. [2-whistle]

The ball rolled to the opposite side on a parallel path to the endline, and about 18" inside the endline, where it was last touched by the defense, and rolled out of bounds on partner's sideline.

Trail Partner blew it dead, started to go to endline to administer, but saw that I was staying. So, he pointed at a spot on the endline and bounced it to the in-thrower. :cool:

mick

ChuckElias Fri Nov 11, 2005 08:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by mick

The ball rolled to the opposite side on a parallel path to the endline, and about 18" inside the endline, where it was last touched by the defense, and rolled out of bounds on partner's sideline.

Trail Partner blew it dead, started to go to endline to administer, but saw that I was staying. So, he pointed at a spot on the endline and bounced it to the in-thrower.

I'm confused here, Mick. What was your partner thinking? Why would he "go to the endline to administer" if you were L? Especially if it went out on the sideline? Was he expecting a switch? If so, why? Brain cramp? Or mechanics with which I'm unfamiliar?

mick Fri Nov 11, 2005 09:17am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by mick

Trail Partner blew it dead, started to go to endline to administer, but saw that I was staying. So, he pointed at a spot on the endline and bounced it to the in-thrower.

I'm confused here, Mick. What was your partner thinking? Why would he "go to the endline to administer" if you were L? Especially if it went out on the sideline? Was he expecting a switch? If so, why? Brain cramp? Or mechanics with which I'm unfamiliar?

Why?
...Exactly.
It is what it is, Chuck. [sigh!]
Perhaps the manual's drawing was not as clear as the words are.
mick

LarryS Fri Nov 11, 2005 01:43pm

We had this happen in my first game of the year. I was lead (two whistles), A1 (white) attempts a pass into my area, ball deflects of A2 and goes OOB on the far corner. I was 100% cetain white touched it last, but if it didn't go out exactly over the corner it was very close. Partner and I both blow our whistles...I hold the call for a moment because I don't want to "call his line" if he plans on making the call...I give him a look and he shurgs. I immediately point in green's direction and give them the ball.

Only took a second or two for this to happen and not a sound came from either coach.

mick Fri Nov 11, 2005 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS
We had this happen in my first game of the year. I was lead (two whistles), A1 (white) attempts a pass into my area, ball deflects of A2 and goes OOB on the far corner. I was 100% cetain white touched it last, but if it didn't go out exactly over the corner it was very close. Partner and I both blow our whistles...I hold the call for a moment because I don't want to "call his line" if he plans on making the call...I give him a look and he shurgs. I immediately point in green's direction and give them the ball.

Only took a second or two for this to happen and not a sound came from either coach.

LarryS,
YU.P.
For better, or worse, most coaches do understand the shrug.http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/nixweiss.gif
mick

Camron Rust Fri Nov 11, 2005 07:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by johnnyrao
It would be the call of whoever has responsibility for that line. I'm not sure if I have ever truly seen a ball go out exactly on a corner.
Who's line is it anyway? ;)

There are two lines involved in this....the sideline and endline. Both the lead and trail/center have jurisditoin. The ball is OOB beyond each of thier lines...and I have seen it several times. There is no specified coverage for the corner. As you also said, you have to communicate with your partner just like any other double coverage area.