The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Referee pants with CUFFS

usually the discussion is Beltless or not, or pleated or not.... Now i have been hearing and seeing "CUFFS OR NO CUFFS", what is the deal, who in the world has starting wearing cuffs at the bottom of their referee pants!!!! i've seen them on dress pants and such, but in some ncaa games now and seen some high school officials starting to do it too!!!! Is this a new thing that people started this summer or something???? just wondering if anyone else has noticed?????
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Pleats with NO cuffs for me.

OOOPSIE! typo.

[Edited by Dan_ref on Nov 9th, 2005 at 10:27 AM]
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Cuffs are great....if you're into bustin' your a$$!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I would STRONGLY recommend no cuffs. Cuffs are a dressy item on the pants to be worn on slacks in professional wear (with or without a coat and tie), not for athletic wear. Some might say the same about pleats, however, pleats serve a function for some in allowing the pants to fit better. Besides, pleats can add a slightly sharper look but without the "dressy" appearance. I wear pleats without cuffs on my chinos, but all my wool slacks, suit or plain slacks, are cuffed.

Besides, cuffs don't look right without leather dress shoes, cap toe or wing tipped (laced or slip on), AND a long sleeved dress shirt.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

I used to work with a guy that wore cuffed pants. He would go to JCPenny and buy their $19.99 pants. The sad thing was that he wore high tops and his pants were way too short!

No cuffs!
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

I bought flat-front pants about 3 years ago, just before our assn. said that pleats were okay. Now the flat-fronts are still in good shape. However I keep hearing from other officials in my group....Hey welcome to the 21st century, get some pleats!!!! Damned if you do damned if you don't!!!!

No cuffs, just one more thing that can get snagged on something else.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed... Pleated, no cuff pants. I think that is the sharpest way to go.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Actually, in the last 3 or 4 years, in men's pants in general, flat fronts have been the fashion "in" style.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

"in" style or not, pleats are the most comfortable way to go and they still look good!
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, no cuffs. Why give yourself something to trip on?
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

And one more thing ...

having worked in men's retail many years while finishing my master's,

Cuffs are also supposed to be marked and hemmed so that they will only extend halfway down the back of the shoe and with hardly any break in the front. (that is so that the fashion concious wearer can show off his stylish socks to everyone)

Would look a lot like "high waters" if an official had his pants hemmed that length.

Of course, its not uncommmon to find many many with cuffs that are incorrectly hemmed and extend all the way down etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

My association has banned pleats, and patent leather. I guess our assigner thinks that is for college refs not high school
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Referee pants with CUFFS

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
usually the discussion is Beltless or not, or pleated or not.... Now i have been hearing and seeing "CUFFS OR NO CUFFS", what is the deal, who in the world has starting wearing cuffs at the bottom of their referee pants!!!! i've seen them on dress pants and such, but in some ncaa games now and seen some high school officials starting to do it too!!!! Is this a new thing that people started this summer or something???? just wondering if anyone else has noticed?????
Wow - you've got to be kidding me. People are wearing cuffs on their pants? I am going to keep an eye out this year and see if there is such in my games.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 7yrref
My association has banned pleats, and patent leather. I guess our assigner thinks that is for college refs not high school
IMHO, the pleats look much nicer/sharper than the plain fronts. I am a little older and more "full figured" than a lot of officials and pleated pants fit me better. I might agree with your assigner about the patent leather. I personally don't like the looks of them.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by 7yrref
IMHO, the pleats look much nicer/sharper than the plain fronts. I am a little older and more "full figured" than a lot of officials and pleated pants fit me better. I might agree with your assigner about the patent leather. I personally don't like the looks of them.
Hope you don't have to wear pleats on the backside also.