The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

How to handle disagreements between partners!!

Thought this deserved it's own thread.
When partners get together for a discussion during the game, everyone has their say and there is a disagreement on the ruling, what else is left to do?????
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

It depends on the type of disagreement. Some times it does not matter if there is a disagreement; the calling official usually has the final say.

What kind of disagreements are you talking about?

Peace
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that ultimately it is the calling officials call to make! Therefore, if I am not the calling official I tell my partner "Here is some information of what I saw. You can do with it what you want."
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
I believe that ultimately it is the calling officials call to make! Therefore, if I am not the calling official I tell my partner "Here is some information of what I saw. You can do with it what you want."
NFHS rules.

Your partner calls a 5 second closely guarded violation in the backcourt.

What do you do now??
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
NFHS rules.

What do you do now??
"What did you have? There is no 5 second closely guarded in the back court. You can only have closely guarded in the front court. You should consider reversing this call and giving the team the ball back at POI."

--edited for punctuation and spelling--
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
NFHS rules.

What do you do now??
"What did you have? There is no 5 second closely guarded in the back court. You can only have closely guarded in the front court. You should consider reversing this call and giving the team the ball back at POI."

I agree with the point made, but in the words of some textbook officials: Is that error correctable?
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by South GA BBall Ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
NFHS rules.

What do you do now??

I agree with the point made, but in the words of some textbook officials: Is that error correctable?
Sure it is. Now, instead of being a whistle for a violation, it suddenly "becomes" an inadvertant whistle.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by South GA BBall Ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
NFHS rules.

What do you do now??

Textbook or not....Yes, it is correctable (not a correctable error though). The ball became dead with a team in control. It's becomes an inadvertant whistle. The team that had control gets the ball back for a throwin.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

My thoughts are if there needs to be a quick conference on a call, that is OK. I think coaches, players and fans respect that the refs are willing to admit an obvious mistake and make a correction. Of course, this can't happen in every questionable call, but can be used when you can't see who last touched ball going OOB. But for obvious mistakes, like 5-second call in backcourt you got to correct it.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 01:16pm
Huck Finn

If an official feels strong about what a call should be, but it wasn't their call they could say, "I want to go on record...." or "for the record..." This method will work when/if egos get in the way. If there is a lot of back and forth, the conversation/meeting becomes too long and that looks bad.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
If you huddle up, make sure you can see ALL 10 players!

Do you send them to bench area or do you just position yourself as a crew so that you can see everyone, but at the same time, make sure coaches, fans, etc. cant see specifically what yall are talking about. ANytime the crew huddles up avoid making gestures, pointing to areas, or even to each other... I also walk to cross my arms and bring a hand to rest my chin on and slightly cover my mouth and talk so that only my partners can understand me. I'd hate for a caoch to here.
"Well Jim, did you kick that one?"
"Yeah I did and now we're gunna fix it"
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Quote:
NFHS rules.

What do you do now??

Tweet, tweet!!! Come together and say hey partner, there is no closely guarded in the backcourt. Put the ball back in play.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah....you guys make it sound easy. Some partners are tough. My first partner was a guy named Vinny Carmungellino from Brookyln. Heavily connected in the Gambino Crime Family. The guy was 5'-3", 280 pounds and all muscle. My first game, Vinny says to me,

"Kid...yoose make me luk bad....yoose end up in da sidewalk sumwheres. Capise?"

Vinny was a bad Ref but a great friend. I even helped him whack a guy after a Game once. (It paid better than the CYO gigs we were blowing and all I had to do was stir the concrete.) I don't think that I'd be doing Varsity Games, now, unless Vinny had hung the Assigner out his 64th story window by his wing-tips.

Vinny and I haven't worked together since he entered the Witness Protection Program a few years back. If you ever read a Story about a yappy Coach that mysteriously goes missing.....safe bet that Vinny is working that District.