The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I am aware that this topic has been discussed before. However I do believe that it is worth some thought at the beginning of the new season.
What are the qualities and characteristics that make a good partner? How do you become a good/bad partner? What are the most important chatacteristics you look for in a partner? How do you try to be a good partner? What do you do when you work with someone you deem a bad partner? Any other thoughts on being a good partner are welcome. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

I really do not think there is any magic formula to being a good partner.

I think what is important is to be flexible. Understand that all officials do not share the exact same philosophies. Have a good pre-game to iron out all those loose ends.

Communication is always a key to being a good partner, but everyone communicates differently.

I just have yet to find any single trait that makes a good partner. Usually the guys that are bad are the officials who are carry their big ego onto the court as if you are above the game or everyone participating. I just want partners that work as hard as I do on the game. That is hard to find but I have worked with guys I did not necessarily respect but they were very good partners did their job.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

I like what Rut offered, especially the part about the ego. Those seem to be the hardest guys to work with. I think if the crew has the same goal of working hard to give each team an equal chance and we're willing to leave past greviences against coaches in the locker room, the game should go fine.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Good partner = solid pregame, philosphies discussed and middle ground met. Call the game on the same page, leaving little reason for the coaches to complain about any one official. Consistent throughout the game. Communicate well with each other, not ego-driven or unable to accept information if partner saw a call differently. Willing to assist partner without trying to overrule him/her.

Bad partner = shows up just prior to game without advance warning, runs on the floor without conferring with partner, over-officiates the game from opening tip, unwilling to work with partner(s), no verbal or signal communication, thinks s/he is right on every call, condescending to all involved in the game (including partners), BSing the game just to get out the door

Just a small list I have been able to compile in my short (5 years) time as an official.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Get in, pre-game, get job done with no problems, get out, have a cold pop, Great partner!!!
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
... and don't talk too much. I'm flexible enough to work with a lot of ego, but I get tired of listening to someone tell me about their English teacher from 9th grade, the shorts they get to wear when they work soccer, and their 7 year old's day care provider and her weird religious practices. Please. Let's talk about this game, about how to work together, about our association, about the upcoming state tournament, or anything closer to basketball officiating than the chemical makeup of the moss in their neighbor's garden.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that a partner that has your back during the game is a quality partner. I have seen too many officials at tournaments shake their head at a call their partner made. NOT GOOD!
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Lots of these have already been said but.....A good partner shows up on time (ie. early), goes through a pregame, stays in their primary, works WITH you and has your back, communicates well (what did you have there? ok, I thought I saw something else), makes eye contact on every whistle, uses good mechanics, does not report rebound fouls as "over the back or on the back" (that's a personal little pet peeve) and is out there to have fun, not just to make some cash. Most importantly, a good partner at least offers to buy the first post-game round of beverages.