The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

As the offical calls a violation he/she glances at the clock. The clock shows 45 seconds but the timer stops the clock showing 42 seconds. Offical instructs the timer to reset the game clock to 45 seconds because he/she had definite knowledge of the amount of time involved. Is the official correct?

As an aside lets say the timer stops it at 35 seconds What would you do in that situation. Of if the clock malfunctions and runs to zero. Thanks - Josh
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cornellref
Offical instructs the timer to reset the game clock to 45 seconds because he/she had definite knowledge of the amount of time involved. Is the official correct?
The key is definite knowledge. If anything the lag would be NO MORE than one second... if the clock is operating correctly.

read rule 5-10-1 & 2
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

so if you saw the clock at 45.5 seconds would you actually reset it to that time?
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

YEP.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Once more than 1 second (the standard amount of time that is considered "lag time") has elapsed from the game clock, you can reset the clock to the exact time using definite knowledge. For example: whistle blows at 45.5, clock doesn't stop, you see clock at 42.5 seconds and is then stopped with 40.5 remaining, you can only reset it to 42.5 (the time at which you have definite knowledge). If the same situation occurs and you have definite knowledge clock should read 45.5 - then you can reset it to that time. If whistle blows at 45.5, you see clock run, clock stopped at 44.7 (or less than 1 second), you cannot reset clock at all - since the lag time of less than one second occurred.

Hope that made some sense. I don't like the rule (think end of game situations), but that's the rule.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Jeffpea

In NCAA men's rules that is no longer the correct interturpation. Check out this link from the ncca M 05/06 clinic this year. It is unfortunately in Adobe so I can't cut and paste the part I want but read pages 19 and 21. If a game clock has 10th of seconds then an offical can put back the correct time even if less than 1 second has gone off the clock.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...ing_clinic.pdf
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
Jeffpea

In NCAA men's rules that is no longer the correct interturpation. Check out this link from the ncca M 05/06 clinic this year. It is unfortunately in Adobe so I can't cut and paste the part I want but read pages 19 and 21. If a game clock has 10th of seconds then an offical can put back the correct time even if less than 1 second has gone off the clock.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...ing_clinic.pdf
I seem to recall (without reading the bulletin) that this only applies at the end of the game, though.

Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I would like the NCAA and the FED both make this whole thing easier by saying that if the clock shows tenths of a second, the official can put back the exact amount of time, regardless of how much came off after the whistle.

That way it only applies in the last minute of either half (or quarter, if you play quarters), which is really the only time you care. And it also eliminates the "was he looking at the clock or did he look after the whistle blew" nonsense. And that really is nonsense. It's a stupid stipulation. If there are tenths of a second and you see 10.6 then put back 10.6, period.