The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

OK NFHS rules say you can't travel while out-of-bounds for throw in. But if player runs the line after a violation what is the call and signal?
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Henry
OK NFHS rules say you can't travel while out-of-bounds for throw in. But if player runs the line after a violation what is the call and signal?
Point to the original spot with your index finger and sweep the hand away from the spot in the direction they ran. (Signal #25 in the current book).
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Point to the original spot with your index finger and sweep the hand away from the spot in the direction they ran. (Signal #25 in the current book).
Don't forget to put you hand up first, palm open, as you blow the whistle to signal the violation.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Gave the signal but forgot to include the call: it is a throwin violation.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Quote:
Don't forget to put you hand up first, palm open, as you blow the whistle to signal the violation.
Just to play devil's advocate, why does an official need to give signal #2 "stop clock" on this play? The ball is OOB for a designated-spot throw-in, so the clock MUST already be stopped.

Secondly, since the thrower is the one committing this violation before inbounding the ball, doesn't the administering official ALREADY have his hand up preparing to chop the time in? You wouldn't put your hand down first and then back up again as you blew the whistle for the violation, right?

Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just to play devil's advocate, why does an official need to give signal #2 "stop clock" on this play? The ball is OOB for a designated-spot throw-in, so the clock MUST already be stopped.

Secondly, since the thrower is the one committing this violation before inbounding the ball, doesn't the administering official ALREADY have his hand up preparing to chop the time in? You wouldn't put your hand down first and then back up again as you blew the whistle for the violation, right?

Well, wouldn't you put it up higher?

Ok, ok, my hand's already up. But what I end up doing is taking a step forward while blowing the whistle, I guess kinda emphasizing my open palm, to let people know I've got something different than chopping time in. Granted, the arm up with open palm or closed fist is designed to stop the clock, but I am, in this instance, stopping a clock. Maybe not the game clock, but my internal, 5-sec. clock.

The point I was trying to make was when people hear the whistle, they want to know why. The open palm signifies a violation of some kind, while a closed fist signifies a foul. I don't know if Jim Henry is a new official, so I just wanted to include the reminder of the open vs. closed hand issue. Does that make sense?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 10:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, wouldn't you put it up higher?

Ok, ok, my hand's already up. But what I end up doing is taking a step forward while blowing the whistle, I guess kinda emphasizing my open palm, to let people know I've got something different than chopping time in. Granted, the arm up with open palm or closed fist is designed to stop the clock, but I am, in this instance, stopping a clock. Maybe not the game clock, but my internal, 5-sec. clock.

The point I was trying to make was when people hear the whistle, they want to know why. The open palm signifies a violation of some kind, while a closed fist signifies a foul. I don't know if Jim Henry is a new official, so I just wanted to include the reminder of the open vs. closed hand issue. Does that make sense?
No.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just to play devil's advocate...oh wait, you're doing that already...anywho...doesn't the requirement to "raise your hand" per signal #2 on this whistle effectively mean you are required to NOT drop your hand? I agree it should not be called "stop-clock" for the reason you gave, but we might agree the signal in that case means "keep clock stopped" or something.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Just to play devil's advocate...oh wait, you're doing that already...anywho...doesn't the requirement to "raise your hand" per signal #2 on this whistle effectively mean you are required to NOT drop your hand? I agree it should not be called "stop-clock" for the reason you gave, but we might agree the signal in that case means "keep clock stopped" or something.
I believe it say somewhere to "raise the hand or keep the hand raised" to indicate a violation...not requiring the hand to be dropped and re-raised.