The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

In the board's longest post of the year there was a play that talked about a hand-check going to the basket... I dont want to rehash the play but what I want to emphasisze is that we have to know where the ball is...

High school officials are all too eager to call it "on the floor".
This is one pet peeve of mine and it drives me nuts, The kid has the ball, picked it up going to the basket, gets fouled, takes a step, and then we have it on the floor.

I hear all the time that "there is no continuation" in HS or "this isnt the NBA" ...yet the NBA rule on continuation and the NFHS rule on continuous motion very similar.

Once the kid picks up the ball they can pass or shoot, we have to know what they are doing and what they did...

Just thought I would start some more controversy. The World Series did not offer much!
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

No controversary there with me. I also see the play where A1 give a strong head fake and B1 jumps to block his shot but comes down on top of A1 (turtles him) A1 holds his ground but does not go up with the shot. If he did, he'd really wipe out B2. IMO, A1 has gathered for his shot and should get to go to the free throw line for 2. I usually comment and thank him for his good sportsmanship for not risking possible injury to B1.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I agree kelvin but in NFHS I believe there is just a definition for continous motion, not continuation, whereas the NBA has both. Continuation pertains to having gathered the ball as what you are talking about, and unless I am mistaken there is no rule for continuation in the NFHS rulebook. I agree though about people being too quick to call fouls on the floor. I am very guilty of it myself.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Actually I dont think you will find either the term "continuation" or "continuous motion" in the NBA rule ( not in Rule 4-definitions or rule 12-fouls)

So which rule is the NBA and which one is NFHS?NCAA?

A) ...the act of shooting starts when... the player has started his shooting motion and continues until the shooting motion ceases and he/she returns to a normal floor position.

B) ...begins the habitual throwing movement and ends when the ball is clearly in flight. ... permitted the customary arm movement,and if pivoting or stepping may complete the usual foot or body movement while holding the ball... when the usual throwing motion has started.

Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Actually I dont think you will find either the term "continuation" or "continuous motion" in the NBA rule ( not in Rule 4-definitions or rule 12-fouls)

A) ...the act of shooting starts when... the player has started his shooting motion and continues until the shooting motion ceases and he/she returns to a normal floor position.

B) ...begins the habitual throwing movement and ends when the ball is clearly in flight. ... permitted the customary arm movement,and if pivoting or stepping may complete the usual foot or body movement while holding the ball... when the usual throwing motion has started.

You're right I found it in the official's manual and it reads as follows:

Continous motion plays are defined in two ways-

A. "Continuation"-occurs when a player is clearly driving to the basket and after gathering of the ball, (or ending his dribble)is fouled while attempting to complete this movement, he is to be awarded with two shots if there's a miss of his shot.

If he can continue his move while being fouled after the gather and score a goal in the process, the goal is scored and a one additional free throw shot attempt is awarded to him.

B."Continuous Shooting Motion"- occurs when a player has the ball and is fouled while attempting to make an upward motion and/or shot attempt at the basket.

If he makes his shot in the process of his upward movement, the goal if scored will count and if he's unable to make his shot in this process, he will be given two shots for his attempt.

There is no such thing as "continuation" in HS, but there is "Continuous shooting motion" of course.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
No controversary there with me. I also see the play where A1 give a strong head fake and B1 jumps to block his shot but comes down on top of A1 (turtles him) A1 holds his ground but does not go up with the shot. If he did, he'd really wipe out B2. IMO, A1 has gathered for his shot and should get to go to the free throw line for 2. I usually comment and thank him for his good sportsmanship for not risking possible injury to B1.
Have you ever awarded two shots?
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Have you ever awarded two shots?
I did it in a scrimmage my first year of officialing and my assigner laugh and said, this isnt the NBA.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

You're right I found it in the official's manual and it reads as follows:

Continous motion plays are defined in two ways-

A. "Continuation"-occurs when a player is clearly driving to the basket and after gathering of the ball, (or ending his dribble)is fouled while attempting to complete this movement, he is to be awarded with two shots if there's a miss of his shot.

If he can continue his move while being fouled after the gather and score a goal in the process, the goal is scored and a one additional free throw shot attempt is awarded to him.

B."Continuous Shooting Motion"- occurs when a player has the ball and is fouled while attempting to make an upward motion and/or shot attempt at the basket.

If he makes his shot in the process of his upward movement, the goal if scored will count and if he's unable to make his shot in this process, he will be given two shots for his attempt.

There is no such thing as "continuation" in HS, but there is "Continuous shooting motion" of course.
Agreed- 100%

it is intersting to note that the NBA in continuation interp says that if fouled "while completing movement".... NFHS says player is customary permitted arm movement and can complete stepping or body movement..

Not much difference in my mind, My point?

High School Offficals too often dont allow the permitted arm movement or stepping motion because it occurs too far away from the basket or it was on the first step of a fast drive etc.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed