View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Actually I dont think you will find either the term "continuation" or "continuous motion" in the NBA rule ( not in Rule 4-definitions or rule 12-fouls)

So which rule is the NBA and which one is NFHS?NCAA?

A) ...the act of shooting starts when... the player has started his shooting motion and continues until the shooting motion ceases and he/she returns to a normal floor position.

B) ...begins the habitual throwing movement and ends when the ball is clearly in flight. ... permitted the customary arm movement,and if pivoting or stepping may complete the usual foot or body movement while holding the ball... when the usual throwing motion has started.

You're right I found it in the official's manual and it reads as follows:

Continous motion plays are defined in two ways-

A. "Continuation"-occurs when a player is clearly driving to the basket and after gathering of the ball, (or ending his dribble)is fouled while attempting to complete this movement, he is to be awarded with two shots if there's a miss of his shot.

If he can continue his move while being fouled after the gather and score a goal in the process, the goal is scored and a one additional free throw shot attempt is awarded to him.

B."Continuous Shooting Motion"- occurs when a player has the ball and is fouled while attempting to make an upward motion and/or shot attempt at the basket.

If he makes his shot in the process of his upward movement, the goal if scored will count and if he's unable to make his shot in this process, he will be given two shots for his attempt.

There is no such thing as "continuation" in HS, but there is "Continuous shooting motion" of course.
Agreed- 100%

it is intersting to note that the NBA in continuation interp says that if fouled "while completing movement".... NFHS says player is customary permitted arm movement and can complete stepping or body movement..

Not much difference in my mind, My point?

High School Offficals too often dont allow the permitted arm movement or stepping motion because it occurs too far away from the basket or it was on the first step of a fast drive etc.