The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

A1 throwing ball in, it hits rim and is bouncing around on rim, B1 jumps and hits ball in cylinder???? Count 2 points for Team A for basket interference on throw in TRUE OR FALSE?? can Team A score from a throw in, i'm thinking i read this last year and it said you give A 2 pts and give ball to team B for throw in, just making sure
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
A1 throwing ball in, it hits rim and is bouncing around on rim, B1 jumps and hits ball in cylinder???? Count 2 points for Team A for basket interference on throw in TRUE OR FALSE?? can Team A score from a throw in, i'm thinking i read this last year and it said you give A 2 pts and give ball to team B for throw in, just making sure
True. You can't "score" on a throw-in, but points can be awarded for BI.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Think that rule should be looked at!!!

i think you should just call BI and give the ball back to team A OOB!!! but i don't make the rules, i'm just supposed to enforce them!! i don't see what the reasoning is behind giving them the pts from the throw in being interfered with!! If it goes in it's a violation, so i just think giving them the pts is going a little far...i think it would be better just giving them a throw in over!! It doesn't happen hardly at all probably, does anyone know any reasoning behind this decision???? yes i'm bored and was just looking through the manual at crazy plays that hardly ever happen....because heaven knows anything can and will happen when you least expect it!!
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 02:23pm
In Memoriam

Re: Think that rule should be looked at!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
i think you should just call BI and give the ball back to team A OOB!!!
That's called double jeopardy or the punishment not really fitting the crime. If you do that, you're penalizing team B twice. Once by awarding team A 2 points for the BI-- and once by taking away the normal throw-in by team B after a made or awarded basket.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

I think he meant that you wouldn't count the basket, but you would blow the whistle, call the violation signally no basket (I guess) and then award A a throw in.

Nice idea, but I'm not sure there is rules support for that.

(Unless there's an approved ruling to the contrary,) I believe you count the basket just as you would if a throw in pass gets deflected by Team B into the basket. There intervening violation changes the play. Now: what if the same throw in gets deflected by Team A into the basket?
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie

(Unless there's an approved ruling to the contrary,) I believe you count the basket just as you would if a throw in pass gets deflected by Team B into the basket. There intervening violation changes the play. Now: what if the same throw in gets deflected by Team A into the basket?
In either of these two sitch's, doesn't the throw-in end when the ball is touched by a player on the court? So, wouldn't the basket count in either case, because it's now a live ball in-bounds?

Also, jritchie, don't think of the points as a basket being scored, rather it is points being awarded because of B1's violation.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

yes i was talking about not counting the pts and just giving team A back the ball...just seems like a severe penalty when they don't supposed to be able to score anyways...i know the rule says to award 2 pts, i was just wondering if the violation fits the crime??