Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 02:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Please send a copy in pdf format to [email protected]

Thanks.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, I hope that they all realize that they're cheating l'il goobers also.

But somehow I doubt that any of 'em really care anyway.
C'mon JR...how can you say ALL are cheating?

That's a little harsh, IMO. Maybe some actually just use them for themselves for study purposes, and don't share them with people that get "graded" and/or do the test in a closed book setting.

We take the test on-line...and it is open book. There is also no time limit on the test...you can test for awhile, come back and test some more...at your convienence.

Take it easy on the poor little goobers.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 02:53pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Never to be heard from again, Tanner, until next year's exam comes out.......
Yeah, the thought is confirmed. I was actually confused when I logged in a few minutes ago and saw this thread at the top with 5 pages already. I had to review it to realize it was from last year. Looks like we picked up at least one new poster (for the time being)...let's see if he/she hangs around.

Obviously, the people who have requested it haven't realized when the thread was dated. Oh well... they'll figure it out. Maybe I should send them last year's exam...
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I hope that they all realize that they're cheating l'il goobers also.

But somehow I doubt that any of 'em really care anyway.
From what I have researched, the NFHS has no policy in regard to taking the test unaided. (However, it may be an association policy). It can be open book, open neighbor, or whatever. I would think that as long as the official can get it right that is all that matters. If a big time decision needed to be made, they certainly could consult the other official(s) on the game.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, the NFHS is working on putting the test on line nationally starting next year.

They are also looking to scrap the T/F can you figure out the question format, with multiple choice of actual game video.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 04:09pm
M.A.S.H.

I think the NFHS puts the test out and then it's up to the State associations how they want to use them.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 04:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
From what I have researched, the NFHS has no policy in regard to taking the test unaided. (However, it may be an association policy). It can be open book, open neighbor, or whatever. I would think that as long as the official can get it right that is all that matters. If a big time decision needed to be made, they certainly could consult the other official(s) on the game.
Each state makes their own policy with regards to test-taking. Some states do have closed-book, proctored exams- either Part I or Part II. Some states require passing grades on NFHS tests as a prerequisite to attaining play-off games or for advancement to a higher category.

Iow, what might be OK for a particular state could also be viewed as cheating in a different state. States also write the exams at different times too- some not until early December. Anybody who has the actual exam a month before they write that exam sureasheck has the potential of cheating when they do write the exam.

We hand out the previous year's exam to any of our association's members who would like study material. That's heckuva lot different having all of the exact questions of the current exam pre-exam.

There's a big difference between getting it right and cheating. Jmo, but I don't think that I wanna go out on the court with officials who cut corners. That's just me though. Obviously, all of these people requesting these exams every year don't agree with me.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 05:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have said this before and I will say it again.

I want to work with people that can officiate, I do not care what test they passed. I have yet to officiate a game where the coach or assignor wanted to know what my test score is.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I want to work with people that can officiate, I do not care what test they passed. I have yet to officiate a game where the coach or assignor wanted to know what my test score is.

Peace
But, I'm not sure I want to work with an official that takes shortcuts. If they take this shortcut, how do I know they really know the rules when it's crunch time? Do they take the shortcut and lie to their assignor about being sick and not being able to take a game, when in reality maybe they got a more "prestigious" game? Do you want to work with that official as well?

It's not about the test score, it's about the official's integrety.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 05:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
But, I'm not sure I want to work with an official that takes shortcuts. If they take this shortcut, how do I know they really know the rules when it's crunch time? Do they take the shortcut and lie to their assignor about being sick and not being able to take a game, when in reality maybe they got a more "prestigious" game? Do you want to work with that official as well?

Isn't passing a closed-book, proctored NFHS Part II exam in Illinois part of an official being able to advance in category classification so that you are eligible for year-end state assignments?

The problem is that the potential for cheating is there. Perception may not be reality, but that perception alone is a problem.

JMO.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 06:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy

The NCAA has an open book test and it was said very openly that the test could be taken by anyone with help. It was encouraged and the exact words of Hank Nichols, "I do not care if you take the test with 6 people looking over your shoulder." NCAA officials have to pass the test in order to work post season. They do not consider it a lack of integrity to pass the test with help. I took open book tests in college and it was understood that you would work with other students to complete the test.

Whether someone gets a test score has nothing to do with the integrity of an official as it relates to getting off a game or how well someone works. The test is to get the official to look at the rules. I want people who not only understand the rules, but know how they are to be applied. Many of the questions do not ask common sense real world questions. If you only pick up the rulebook, casebook or handbook at one time of the year and never pick it up again. I am much more concerned about that official.

Hey, this is my opinion and many folks I know share it. I am not going to convince anyone here either way.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 06:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Isn't passing a closed-book, proctored NFHS Part II exam in Illinois part of an official being able to advance in category classification so that you are eligible for year-end state assignments?

The problem is that the potential for cheating is there. Perception may not be reality, but that perception alone is a problem.

JMO.
The Part 2 exam involves promotion, not post season. Most officials that works the post season have not taken the Part 2 exam in years (like me). And many of the officials that once took the Part 2 exam many years ago never had to take the test as a "true" closed book test or with all the restrictions I had to go through when I took it. It was an easy test when half the answers were already on the ARS computer program. Memorizing answers does not in my opinion prove you know what are actually in the rules.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for looking out for us younger officials. Here is my email [email protected]

---James Dean