The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, I just signed up. I have several different questions about the high school girls basketball game. I just accepted my first coaching position about a month ago. I played both high school and collegiate basketball. I am a little unfamiliar with the girls game however. I am coaching in Virginia. Does anyone have a link to a rule book in Virginia. I know that womens college basketball made several rule changes a couple of years back: # of timeouts, 5 second, 10 second counts....Just wondering if they carried over to the high school game also. Thanks for any help
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hi Nate. I don't think any of the states put out their own rulebook. Everybody uses the rulebook that is written by the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). Virginia may make some changes to the book, or (like NY state) they may use NCAA women's rules for their girls games. I don't know.

But the NFHS does not make its rulebook available online, except to certain members who pay a fee. Your best bet is to check with your new AD, find out exactly which ruleset you'll be using and then go to your nearest sporting goods store and get a copy of the rulebook for $6.

Good luck this season. Keep checking in here, too. You'll be amazed at how much you thought you knew about the rules, but didn't.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Hi Nate. I don't think any of the states put out their own rulebook. Everybody uses the rulebook that is written by the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). Virginia may make some changes to the book, or (like NY state) they may use NCAA women's rules for their girls games. I don't know.

But the NFHS does not make its rulebook available online, except to certain members who pay a fee. Your best bet is to check with your new AD, find out exactly which ruleset you'll be using and then go to your nearest sporting goods store and get a copy of the rulebook for $6.

Good luck this season. Keep checking in here, too. You'll be amazed at how much you thought you knew about the rules, but didn't.
Also, Chuck, you forgot to warn him to dodge if a ref pukes on his shoes.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info. guys
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Nate -

High School girls and boys play by the same rules in Va.

Rule books are available for order from the National Federation of High Schools at http://www.nfhs.org

Hope this helps.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Thanks pal..thats a big help!!