The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

This is a true/false question that I don't understand the answer to and I would appreciate clarification or example.

Live Ball - Dead Ball Question

Question - The ball is live and continuous motion applies if a defensive foul is committed against someone other than the shooter.

Answer (per exam) is True 6-7-7 exc c; 4-11-1.

Thank you for your assistance in resolving this matter.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It's also true if a foul is committed against the shooter. They just want to make sure you realize that continuous motion applies on any defensive foul once the shooter's motion has started.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

A1 begins his shooting motion.

B1 fouls A2.

A1 releases the shot.

The foul on B1 does not cause the ball to become dead. It makes no difference whether the player fouled is A1, A2, or any other A player on the floor. If the shot goes, it counts. The foul is then penalized separately. If A is in the bonus, A2 shoots. If not, A gets the ball back.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Hey, I got this one right because I own it!!

See http://www.officialforum.com/newrepl...threadid=22420
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
Hey, I got this one right because I own it!!

See http://www.officialforum.com/newrepl...threadid=22420
You don't mind if I borrow it every once in a while?

And I'll let you borrow the "running OOB to avoid a screen during a throw-in after a basket" rule:

http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...9&pagenumber=1

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
It's also true if a foul is committed against the shooter. They just want to make sure you realize that continuous motion applies on any defensive foul once the shooter's motion has started.
Right, and this is because this was a "2004-05 Major Editorial Change[s]."

"4-11-1 Clarified that continuous motion applies to a try or tap for a field goal and free throws, when there is a foul by any defensive player, not just a defensive foul on the shooter."

Apparently, people were not calling this correctly.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

"4-11-1 Clarified that continuous motion applies to a try or tap for a field goal and free throws, when there is a foul by any defensive player, not just a defensive foul on the shooter."

Nevadaref,

What would you do if, during a free throw, A1 has started his shooting motion B1 fouls A2. You blow the whistle for the foul and A1 stops before he/she releases the ball. Would you give A1 another attempt?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Quote:
Quote:

Nevadaref,

What would you do if, during a free throw, A1 has started his shooting motion B1 fouls A2. You blow the whistle for the foul and A1 stops before he/she releases the ball. Would you give A1 another attempt?
Yes (6.7 B in the casebook.)

In my many years around basketball, however, I have never seen a foul called at this point during a FT.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Quote:
Quote:

Nevadaref,

Yes (6.7 B in the casebook.)

In my many years around basketball, however, I have never seen a foul called at this point during a FT.
Dexter, That case book play is not relevant. The question posed asks about an opponent fouling during a FT. In the case book play that you cited the foul is committed by a teammate.

To answer David M's question, I would rule that the FT was never attempted and therefore A1 is still entitled to the try. I would report the foul, clear the lane, award the proper FTs, then administer the throw-in to Team A or award A2 bonus FTs as the penalty for B1's foul.

Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Also, I just read 6.7 sit E in the new case book. It says that A1 "MAY release the ball" and the try will count if successful. I don't read this as MUST.

My interp is that if he doesn't shoot it due to the whistle for the foul, he gets to shoot it after the foul is reported.

Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

Sounds good. Thanks, Nevadaref.