The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

An official friend of mine and I were doing a HS Varsity Volleyball game a few weeks ago. Between games he told me that he was starting to feel a little "shaky" because he hadn't eaten since noon. I reached into my bag and pulled out a Detour protein bar and told him to eat it before the time between games was over. It helped. It got me to thinking about my own ritual. I always eat a Clif bar 30 minutes before each basketball or soccer game. They have 46 grams of carbs and the Peanut Butter ones taste good. They really keep me going throughout the game(s) for the night. I always keep an extra Clif bar and Detour bar in my bag. I also keep a can of Slim Fast in a little cooler in my truck to drink while driving home from game. Any of you have anything special you eat before or at halves of games that works well for you?
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

I usually eat a protien bar by powerbar. It has 19g of protien and 26g of carbs. It is very filling and light at the same time so that my stomach doesn't feel real full.

My biggest problem is on the way to the games as sometimes we have to travel upwards of an hour to get to our assignment. It never fails at about 3 or 4 I get hit by the tired bug. I have tried a few energy drinks like red bull but I find that SOBE (by pepsi) works well and tastes good. It comes in a 16oz can.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

SlimFast in a cooler? The coolers I've seen have NEVER had anything like that in there!

Most of the time I try to have a meal about 3-4 hours before a game, such as a late lunch before an evening game, or an early lunch or late breakfast before an afternoon game. If I eat too close to a game, I'm usually sluggish (ok, more than usual). Some nights, I might end up without dinner at all if the game is close enough to home; I can't eat right after a game because I'm too keyed up, and if I'm home pretty quickly I might just head right to bed. I think that's how I end up losing weight during the season.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

This is a great topic. I usually can't eat anything probably an hour or two before a game. But know that I need something so my energy level kicks in by halftime.

I like to hear more of what eating rituals you all go through.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
No meal before hand, but a little chocolate doesn't hurt! Some at half-time, too. Plenty of water all day.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Like M&M I'll have a late lunch then maybe an apple & a banana in the car on the way to the game.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Like M&M I'll have a late lunch then maybe an apple & a banana in the car on the way to the game.
Well, see, Dan, there's your problem right there -- healthy. That's a big mistake. If you ate more chocolate, especially during this ramping up to the season, you wouldn't be so sore and tired after your games!
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Well, see, Dan, there's your problem right there -- healthy. That's a big mistake. If you ate more chocolate, especially during this ramping up to the season, you wouldn't be so sore and tired after your games!
Ha. Ha. Ha.

Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Ha. Ha. Ha.
Oh sure, you don't her to shut up. . .
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Ha. Ha. Ha.
Oh sure, you don't her to shut up. . .
Shut up, will ya?
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Last year I actually gained weight thru the season but this year I plan to take some fruit alon to eat on the way home. My problem was that by the time I got home, I was really hungry and so I'd over-eat and then head straight to bed. I've already began losing and want to stay disciplined during this season.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
[B]SlimFast in a cooler? The coolers I've seen have NEVER had anything like that in there!
/B]
__________________________________________________ _________

Actually, M&M, sometimes I get REAL RADICAL and put a Gatorade and a bottle of water in, too! (Nothing like living on the wild side, eh?) I always wonder if one of these dark cold nights someone is going to see me take the can of slim fast out, pop the top, and call the AD the next day to tell them I'm drinking and driving after the game.

Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

So Juulie, before I stopped eating sweets it was always a Three Musketeers at halftime or a Milky Way if they didn't have the 3M. What's your game chocolate of choice?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

On my game days I eat the same as I would when I played baseball regularly. For a late afternoon game, I'd go with an early, but light lunch (small sandwich/soup and salad), for a night game, the same, but I'd eat around 2 or 3. I use sports drinks to keep me going, and usually have one when leaving for the game. For the rare morning game, I'll just have some chocolate early and bring a bar with me to the game. I get very sluggish if I have anything other than maybe some chocolate within an hour of the game.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

On the way to the game I usually drink a protein shake. After the game I grab some Subway. Friday night games, the postgame meal is usually at a local watering hole.