The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

in 3 man i know we are at the spot and both blocks for 60 sec, and spot and top of keys for 30 sec time out....

in looking at new books for this year in NFHS, they have a TWO MAN CREW, doing the same thing except there is no one at the SPOT OF IN BOUNDS!!!! So we are just supposed to carry the ball around with us and have it on the side in the direction we are going, while standing on the block or top of key??? doesn't this seem like it would be hard for coaches to figure out where the ball is going to be put into play??? Don't like that at all??
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
I almost always work 2 man and I hadn't ever thought of that before. I have been asked where the ball will be though. Sometimes the ball might be put at the spot and the refs walk to the blocks, but most of the time the ref that will inbound the ball will just hold on to it.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

It's always important when time-outs are called to communicate to your partner(s) where the throw-in spot will be BEFORE reporting the time-out. If the coaches don't know where it's going to be inbounded they'll ask the nearest official (and by having communicated with each other, all of you will have the answer).

Z
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
in looking at new books for this year in NFHS, they have a TWO MAN CREW, doing the same thing except there is no one at the SPOT OF IN BOUNDS!!!! So we are just supposed to carry the ball around with us and have it on the side in the direction we are going, while standing on the block or top of key???
Yes, that's correct. And in fact, that has been true for the last two years. The positions were changed in the last FED manual.

In MA, we have disregarded this change and continue to have one official at midcourt and one official at the spot of the throw-in.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
I almost always work 2 man and I hadn't ever thought of that before. I have been asked where the ball will be though. Sometimes the ball might be put at the spot and the refs walk to the blocks, but most of the time the ref that will inbound the ball will just hold on to it.
And while reporting a 60 second time out, arms should be extended with hands open. It is an incorrect mechanic having your fist closed.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
in looking at new books for this year in NFHS, they have a TWO MAN CREW, doing the same thing except there is no one at the SPOT OF IN BOUNDS!!!! So we are just supposed to carry the ball around with us and have it on the side in the direction we are going, while standing on the block or top of key???
Yes, that's correct. And in fact, that has been true for the last two years. The positions were changed in the last FED manual.

In MA, we have disregarded this change and continue to have one official at midcourt and one official at the spot of the throw-in.
Definitely the smart way to do it. This mechanic is ludicrous (spelled as an adjective, not a proper noun!). When it's my turn to be God, things are going to be different
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

can we do that???

as an association, can we choose to do it which ever way we want??? i would think that we should have to do it as the rules are written...
seems like to me that you shouldn't be able to make your own rules or decide how you want to do something!!
i know in our assoc. it has never been brought up either way and everyone still does it the old way, with one at spot and one at center... that is why i asked, if we can do it the old way i think it's better, but i'm sure they have a logical reason for doing it the new way and they wouldn't of changed it if we can still do it the old way!!!!
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

And while reporting a 60 second time out, arms should be extended with hands open. It is an incorrect mechanic having your fist closed. [/B][/QUOTE]

yes that is a double foul..... but the one i get gripped out about is the 30 second time out....our assignor HATES THE THUMBS ON THE SHOULDERS, he says it supposed to be, the fingers touching the shoulders, not just the thumbs, he thinks we are trying to be nba or something....that kills me!!!
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: can we do that???

Quote:
as an association, can we choose to do it which ever way we want??? i would think that we should have to do it as the rules are written...
seems like to me that you shouldn't be able to make your own rules or decide how you want to do something!!
i know in our assoc. it has never been brought up either way and everyone still does it the old way, with one at spot and one at center... that is why i asked, if we can do it the old way i think it's better, but i'm sure they have a logical reason for doing it the new way and they wouldn't of changed it if we can still do it the old way!!!!
Theoretically, no we can't do it however we want. In practice however, in these small matters (and in some large ones!), associations do make their own variations, and the Fed doesn't fine them or demote all the officers, or whatever.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: can we do that???

Quote:
as an association, can we choose to do it which ever way we want???

Any association can use whatever mechanics, rules, or interpretations that it wants to. If California decided to use FIBA rules, who's going to stop them? It's not like they can be kept out of a national tournament or something. Any state can choose to add or ignore certain rules. Lots of states do this regarding the shot clock.

And even having said all that, we're not even talking about a rule. We're talking about a mechanic. If everyone in the state decides to use the "thumbs on the shoulder" for a 30-second TO, what's the problem with that? Not much anyone in the NFHS can do about it.

Quote:
i'm sure they have a logical reason for doing it the new way and they wouldn't of changed it if we can still do it the old way!!!!
I think the rationale is to keep the center of the floor clear for the cheerleaders. If you have one ref at midcourt, s/he always has to move anyway. So why not put him/her on the block? I think that's the thought process, but it's just a guess.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I think part of it too was to have one official near each bench to get them moving at the first horn.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
I think part of it too was to have one official near each bench to get them moving at the first horn.
FranHtown, I agree with your assessment.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Definitely the smart way to do it. This mechanic is ludicrous (spelled as an adjective, not a proper noun!). When it's my turn to be God, things are going to be different
I will have to disagree- I have refereed both ways and use NBA way as well ( I prefer NBA where refs face each other and ball is put down where it will be inbounded) but for game management- notifications etc, the current way is better