View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: can we do that???

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
as an association, can we choose to do it which ever way we want???

Any association can use whatever mechanics, rules, or interpretations that it wants to. If California decided to use FIBA rules, who's going to stop them? It's not like they can be kept out of a national tournament or something. Any state can choose to add or ignore certain rules. Lots of states do this regarding the shot clock.

And even having said all that, we're not even talking about a rule. We're talking about a mechanic. If everyone in the state decides to use the "thumbs on the shoulder" for a 30-second TO, what's the problem with that? Not much anyone in the NFHS can do about it.

Quote:
i'm sure they have a logical reason for doing it the new way and they wouldn't of changed it if we can still do it the old way!!!!
I think the rationale is to keep the center of the floor clear for the cheerleaders. If you have one ref at midcourt, s/he always has to move anyway. So why not put him/her on the block? I think that's the thought process, but it's just a guess.