The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Correcting the time used????? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22615-correcting-time-used.html)

todddeyoung Thu Oct 13, 2005 01:13pm

Need some help folks....

Here's the situation...

Double bonus free throw...administering official tells the players it's a 1-and-1 free throw...girl shoots the first free throw, and misses. Ball is rebounded by opposing team...7 seconds run off clock before I blow the play dead from this mistake.

We put the shooter back on the line for her second (merited) free throw...

Here's the question....

Do we also put the 7 seconds back on the clock?

Todd DeYoung
Zeeland, MI

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Oct 13, 2005 01:15pm

As long as you're sure of the time, yes.

jritchie Thu Oct 13, 2005 01:40pm

rule 2-10-5

says points scored, TIME CONSUMED, and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of an error, SHALL NOT BE NULLIFIED!

todddeyoung Thu Oct 13, 2005 01:47pm

what does that mean....SHALL NOT BE NULLIFIED??????

Should we have put the 7 seconds back on the clock, or no?

NULLIFIED>>>>>be brought to nothing...to make of no value or consequence. So this means, shall not be made of no value....put the 7 sec. back on....right?

stewcall Thu Oct 13, 2005 01:49pm

not having my rule book handy-- Under HS rules--- it seems to me under correctable error section, any action or time consumed before the error is noticed--- shall not be nullified..
So...
Even thought the official has definate knowledge regarding the time on the clock--- this would NOT allow the official to add time back on the clock
So
Possession has changed
Clear the line----
shoot 1 shot
B 1 gets the ball back at the point of the interruption

Stew in VA

jritchie Thu Oct 13, 2005 01:56pm

correct stew

nullified means no time put back on clock!!! pg 20 rule 2-1005

and correct on procedure, possession changed so clear line for 1 shot and B gets ball back afterwords at pt. of interruption!

Kelvin green Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:45am

Correctable errors are just that correctable but not a redo. You correct the shot but the game has progressed and we dont change it. Think of it this way. You had the same situation but ball went one way, was stolen... took a shot missed, team went down missed another shot, and a minute or two ran off the clock, then you realize a second shot should have been taken...

This still meets the defitintiion because there have been no dead balls that have become live... Would you ignore all of that play and replay two minutes?

Just fix the mistake and resume.

BLydic Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:44am

My question about this situation is, do we stop play with a whistle to correct or do we correct at the next dead ball?

Ref in PA Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:16pm

You stop play and correct the situation as perscribed by the rules.