The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Kind of related, but telling comment. I teach 5th grade and we're starting a program to get more dads into the school setting and I'm the school liason. We have a lot of stay at home mothers that voluteer frequently. When we started talking about getting the men into the school, a teacher, and many agreed, that we should make sure we get background checks on the volunteers just to make sure none are on the sex offender registry. I've never heard anyone suggest that with any of our predominately female volunteers. I just found that kind of interesting.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Kind of related, but telling comment. I teach 5th grade and we're starting a program to get more dads into the school setting and I'm the school liason. We have a lot of stay at home mothers that voluteer frequently. When we started talking about getting the men into the school, a teacher, and many agreed, that we should make sure we get background checks on the volunteers just to make sure none are on the sex offender registry. I've never heard anyone suggest that with any of our predominately female volunteers. I just found that kind of interesting.
That's a very smart move for the school to cover it's a$$. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the vast majority of sex offenders are male. Although they should also check the background of the females, when you think sex offender, isn't it a man's image that comes to mind?
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I agree Smitty. I just thought it was kind of funny (as in interesting) since we have mothers in here all the time and it's never been brought up, but as soon as men are coming in, we need to check them out. A nice illustration of stereotypes.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
And yet, I find myself resisting the cynicism that says, "I"m not surprised when Johnson is accused of whatever. Hey, he's male.
[/B]
What's your rationalization for Kathleen Erickson?

Or doesn't that matter? [/B][/QUOTE]

My point wasn't that I don't trust men, or that it's okay to assume that men are abusers. My point was that it's cynical to assume that, and I don't want to think that way. I resist that kind of "bottom line", because I don't like what it does to my own life. Get it?
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 11:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And yet, I find myself resisting the cynicism that says, "I"m not surprised when Johnson is accused of whatever. Hey, he's male.

Or doesn't that matter? [/B]
My point wasn't that I don't trust men, or that it's okay to assume that men are abusers. My point was that it's cynical to assume that, and I don't want to think that way. I resist that kind of "bottom line", because I don't like what it does to my own life. Get it? [/B][/QUOTE]I went back and re-read your post...and found that I misread it and missed your point. I apologize.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or doesn't that matter?
My point wasn't that I don't trust men, or that it's okay to assume that men are abusers. My point was that it's cynical to assume that, and I don't want to think that way. I resist that kind of "bottom line", because I don't like what it does to my own life. Get it? [/B]
I went back and re-read your post...and found that I misread it and missed your point. I apologize. [/B][/QUOTE]

Apology accepted.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
And yet, I find myself resisting the cynicism that says, "I"m not surprised when Johnson is accused of whatever. Hey, he's male. What do you expect?"
Every night, when I walk the dextering beagle...
...and speaking of Dexter, anyone know where he's been lately?
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or doesn't that matter?
My point wasn't that I don't trust men, or that it's okay to assume that men are abusers. My point was that it's cynical to assume that, and I don't want to think that way. I resist that kind of "bottom line", because I don't like what it does to my own life. Get it?
I went back and re-read your post...and found that I misread it and missed your point. I apologize. [/B]
Apology accepted. [/B][/QUOTE]

Wait a second here.

It is customary, even required in some circles, that when someone takes offense to something said it us up to the offender to make an apology before any explanation is offered. And regardless of how badly the offending comment was misinterpreted the offended person is never, ever required to say anything stronger than "next time be more sensitive".

Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Wait a second here.

It is customary, even required in some circles, that when someone takes offense to something said it us up to the offender to make an apology before any explanation is offered. And regardless of how badly the offending comment was misinterpreted the offended person is never, ever required to say anything stronger than "next time be more sensitive".
Wait a second here.

If I'm Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy, what twisted version of Emily Post does that make you?!?!?!
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Wait a second here.

Wait a second here.

If I'm Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy, what twisted version of Emily Post does that make you?!?!?!
Mr. Keeping it real.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
[/B]

Or doesn't that matter? [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't forget about Mary Kay Laterneau, the teacher that was bangin the elementary school kid, went to jail, popped out a couple kids at state expense, and is no MARRIED TO HIM!!
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Quote:

Or doesn't that matter? [/B]
Don't forget about Mary Kay Laterneau, the teacher that was bangin the elementary school kid, went to jail, popped out a couple kids at state expense, and is no MARRIED TO HIM!! [/B][/QUOTE]

I almost forgot about her. How old is he now? Must be about 14 yrs old
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brianp134
Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Quote:

Or doesn't that matter?
Don't forget about Mary Kay Laterneau, the teacher that was bangin the elementary school kid, went to jail, popped out a couple kids at state expense, and is no MARRIED TO HIM!! [/B]
I almost forgot about her. How old is he now? Must be about 14 yrs old [/B][/QUOTE]
Actually, I think he's about 19 or 20. And they're living happily ever after. I had a brother that worked with her ex-husband at Alaska Airlines in Anchorage. After that whole mess, he left Washington and moved to Alaska.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 02:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or doesn't that matter?
I went back and re-read your post...and found that I misread it and missed your point. I apologize.
Apology accepted. [/B]
Wait a second here.

[/B][/QUOTE]Shut up.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or doesn't that matter?
I went back and re-read your post...and found that I misread it and missed your point. I apologize.
Apology accepted.
Wait a second here.

[/B]
Shut up. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm offended.