The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

What kind of question is this? Will someone explain why this is supposed to make sense? Please cite Rule.

It is a technical foul if thrower A1 delays returning to the court after being out of bounds for the throw-in.

Do we care if team A plays actively with four players until A1 decides when he/she decides to come on the court after their throw-in? I certainly would understand if A1 just went to the locker room or into the stands...for reason for a technical for delay.....but this situation doesn't apply, does it?

I believe the answer is FALSE. Agree?
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Nope, it's true.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Why is it unreasonable to expect all players to be on the court during play?
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I believe you should read 10-3-3 and 10.3.3A

The question is on the test to be sure that officials understand that the rule change regarding leaving the court does not affect this play (that is, this play has the same ruling as it had last year).

Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

I believe you should read 10-3-3 and 10.3.3A

The question is on the test to be sure that officials understand that the rule change regarding leaving the court does not affect this play (that is, this play has the same ruling as it had last year).

Thank you bj....

I'll review!
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Nope, it's true.
Are you sure? It was my understanding that this is now a violation rather than a T. Player being OOB without authorization.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, it's true.
Are you sure? It was my understanding that this is now a violation rather than a T. Player being OOB without authorization.
Different situations completely, Camron.

The violation now is for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.That used to be a T.

The technical foul was and is for delaying your return after legally being OOB.

If you take a look at last years R10-3-3, they took the "leaving the court for an unauthorized reason" part out of the rule and made it a violation, but they left the "delay returning after being OOB legally" part in R10-3-3 unchanged as a T.

Iow, they separated the 2 different situations in last year's R10-3-3, moved one of them to R9-3-2 and changed the penalty to a violation--and left the other part in the altered new R10-3-3 as a T.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 13th, 2005 at 09:33 PM]
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

rule comes from the NBA plays

Quote:
What kind of question is this? Will someone explain why this is supposed to make sense? Please cite Rule.

It is a technical foul if thrower A1 delays returning to the court after being out of bounds for the throw-in.

Do we care if team A plays actively with four players until A1 decides when he/she decides to come on the court after their throw-in? I certainly would understand if A1 just went to the locker room or into the stands...for reason for a technical for delay.....but this situation doesn't apply, does it?

I dont know the history of the rule, but I think this is for the play run OOB with the throw-in guy staying OOB for a while and then coming onto the court in an effort to confuse the defense.

I believe there was a play several teams used to run that would gain a benefit from this player staying OOB, but I don't remember the specifics.

And then maybe I'm just dreaming?

Anyone else remember the play?

Thanks
David
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 05:01am
In Memoriam

Re: rule comes from the NBA plays

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:

I dont know the history of the rule, but I think this is for the play run OOB with the throw-in guy staying OOB for a while and then coming onto the court in an effort to confuse the defense.

I believe there was a play several teams used to run that would gain a benefit from this player staying OOB, but I don't remember the specifics.

The play that you're talking about has been in the casebook for many years. It was 10.3.3SitB last year, and they changed the number to 10.3.3SitA this year- but the plays are still identical.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: rule comes from the NBA plays

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:

The play that you're talking about has been in the casebook for many years. It was 10.3.3SitB last year, and they changed the number to 10.3.3SitA this year- but the plays are still identical.
I got my new books last night so I'll check it today.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, it's true.
Different situations completely, Camron.

The violation now is for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.That used to be a T.

The technical foul was and is for delaying your return after legally being OOB.

If you take a look at last years R10-3-3, they took the "leaving the court for an unauthorized reason" part out of the rule and made it a violation, but they left the "delay returning after being OOB legally" part in R10-3-3 unchanged as a T.

Iow, they separated the 2 different situations in last year's R10-3-3, moved one of them to R9-3-2 and changed the penalty to a violation--and left the other part in the altered new R10-3-3 as a T.
Haven't got my new books yet...get them in two weeks. I had assumed the whole item was moved to a violation. If it wasn't I think it should be.