Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
the defender is sticking in her arm in what is a light foul, this foul how ever causes the offensive player to fumble and commit a dribble error/travelling
A fumble is not a violation. Nor is it a violation to recover your own fumble. Sounds to me that you are not really sure what happened.

But if you are sure that the dribbler violated, then:

You have contact by the defender which put the dribbler at a disadvantage that is not intended by rule. This is a foul.

Even if you judge that the contact was slight, there is absolutely no rules justification for a held ball here. The held ball is for when you can't determine who touched the ball last before it went OOB. It is not an option when you can't decide if the contact was severe enough to warrant a foul call.

If you don't think the contact caused the violation, then just call the violation. If the contact was caused by a player on the team that's getting crushed, maybe you pass on the foul and call the violation. If you're not sure that there really was a violation, just let the whole play continue and tell the coach, "It was ugly, but there was no travel".

But the bottom line is, unless FIBA is drastically different from NF, NCAA or NBA rules in this respect, there's no justification for a held ball in your play.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Practice, all aspects of being an official. This is the make up of a good official. IMO
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
what percentages do you all think makes up a quality official using...
I think last year, Dan said that all you needed to do to be a great official is to pass a written test.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I think last year, Dan said that all you needed to do to be a great official is to pass a written test.

Practice
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I think some of you did a great job of illustrating one of mine early on. A sense of humor is a great help. I think good officials look like they are enjoying what they do. The second of mine that I don't think I've seen yet (in the thread) is professionalism.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
one team (home, wich trails) goes off for fast break with one girl at the side, I follows and sees that the defender is sticking in her arm in what is a light foul, this foul how ever causes the offensive player to fumble and commit a dribble error/travelling (hard to say but I see definetly that it's not legal) now my point is:
1. we didn't call much fouls this game, I didn't make that of a good ggame and the R weren't in place to see the fouls, so I didn't think I should call this foul, it was to light, how ever, I can't just leave the play, a travel is a travel, but a travel caused by a foul that is below- shall we call it the "bar" in the game, what do you do? I called the jump ball, nobody complained about it, I even had a coach saying I did a good call, what would you do?

The defender in this play committed illegal contact that took a definite advantage away from an opponent. The severity of the contact never matters. The result of the contact does. A light tap on the elbow of a shooter serves the same purpose as a hard whack on the shooting arm- they both make the shooter miss.

You had two choices on this play....and two choices only. You could have ignored the illegal contact and let play continue....or....you could have called a foul. Calling something else (read jump ball) with absolutely NO rules basis to do so is never an option. And if you weren't sure, never call anything.

Maybe you got away with it in that particular game because it didn't really affect the outcome. Good luck applying that philosophy all the time though. I can pretty much guarantee you're gonna put your tits in a wringer some day if you insist on doing so.

Never call anything that you can't explain. And you sureshell can't ever explain calling something that NEVER actually happened.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Jurassic and Chuck, I couldn't have said it better myself. Making up a call should never ever happen. Either call the foul or let the play continue. Maybe the level of the game and the "knowledge and perception" of the coach let you get away with it in that particular circumstance but somewhere along the line, that way of thinking (i.e. just making up a call) is going to get you and your partner(s) in one heck of a mess.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:30pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The make up of a good official.....hmmmmmm.

I believe Padgett uses Revlon!

Sorry but you knew that was coming!
Actually, I believe he's a Maybelline man.
Well he certainly wasn't born with it!
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
one team (home, wich trails) goes off for fast break with one girl at the side, I follows and sees that the defender is sticking in her arm in what is a light foul, this foul how ever causes the offensive player to fumble and commit a dribble error/travelling (hard to say but I see definetly that it's not legal) now my point is:
1. we didn't call much fouls this game, I didn't make that of a good ggame and the R weren't in place to see the fouls, so I didn't think I should call this foul, it was to light, how ever, I can't just leave the play, a travel is a travel, but a travel caused by a foul that is below- shall we call it the "bar" in the game, what do you do? I called the jump ball, nobody complained about it, I even had a coach saying I did a good call, what would you do?

The defender in this play committed illegal contact that took a definite advantage away from an opponent. The severity of the contact never matters. The result of the contact does. A light tap on the elbow of a shooter serves the same purpose as a hard whack on the shooting arm- they both make the shooter miss.

You had two choices on this play....and two choices only. You could have ignored the illegal contact and let play continue....or....you could have called a foul. Calling something else (read jump ball) with absolutely NO rules basis to do so is never an option. And if you weren't sure, never call anything.

Maybe you got away with it in that particular game because it didn't really affect the outcome. Good luck applying that philosophy all the time though. I can pretty much guarantee you're gonna put your tits in a wringer some day if you insist on doing so.

Never call anything that you can't explain. And you sureshell can't ever explain calling something that NEVER actually happened.
Agree one-hundred percent.

CV... you said it yourself that the contact caused the offensive player to lose control of the ball. Why are you making this harder than it is? Foul. Administer the throw-in for the offensive team or award FT's if in the bonus and move on.

Like JR said, severity of contact is not the determining factor. The result of the contact is. Good rule of thumb... if the contact does not affect the offensive player's rhythm, speed, quickness or balance you can pass on the call, it it does affect it, you better call it.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
I have an assignor who says, right before we leave the dressing room, "Have fun, and don't put any s@!t in the game." I think that sums it up. The best officials have fun at what they do, and they don't put stuff in the game that messes it all up. Of course, the reason that they don't do that is because they have excellent rules knowledge, communication skills, judgement, etc.; but I still think that if you strive not to put any, ahem, "stuff" in the game, you are working towards an admirable goal.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Alright, you've got it right. I give up :P nah, you are right, FIBA aint that diffrent.

I should really have called a foul, now I didn't and I don't think it exactly killed the game or my reputation as a ref- so I suppose I made a bad call then. BUt then again,

remember that I'm a youth ref callinbg youths, I've been doing big progress, my first season I got assigned to taking the finals of the clubs eldest girls (wich arn't that old :P but I couldn't get higher wihtout more training) and I got to ref the Boys 91 team who is best in scandinavia! So I am happy with what I've done so far, and I am acctually happy with that call, wrong or not.

I don't feel I made something to wrong really, don't know why, according to the rules I made an error, but nobody ever (IRL, only here) said it were an errant call. On the contrary, so I don't know what to think really. Probably it'll be one of these strange calls we make who we argue about for some time and then jsut forget
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I don't feel I made something to wrong really, don't know why, according to the rules I made an error, but nobody ever (IRL, only here) said it were an errant call. On the contrary, so I don't know what to think really. Probably it'll be one of these strange calls we make who we argue about for some time and then jsut forget
I think there are more choices than just a) I made a lousy call, and ruined the game or b) it was absolutely the right call and everyone should do it this way from now on.

What you shouldn't do is just forget it. Don't forget this play, and don't forget the discussion. It WILL happen again. It's a play that happens often. And more importantly, it's a situation that happens often, where you have several choices of good calls, and your judgment decides which is the best call.

As long as you keep learning and keep trying to improve, you'll be an excellent ref. As soon as you decide that you're always right, and no one can tell you anything, you're sunk. Keep looking for strengths to build on and keep looking for weaknesses to improve.

I think it would be fine to say that this was a good call, but you'll see the play differently next time, because of this discussion. Or perhaps you might say, well, the call did what it needed to do, but that doesn't make it hte right call in every situation. A third option is to think, lousy call, I'll try different point of view next time. THere are other perspectives, too. The point is, learn to be confident but teachable. Learn to recognize mistakes, and to pursue fixing them. It sounds to me like you're headed in the right direction. Asking on this board is always an excellent first step. (At least, that's what bossref wants it to be!)
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
intresting post there.

Well I am not saying all I do is perfect, far from, but usually my main problem is that I put the calls on a level that is to high for the playing teams. In this game I was slightly below what was a good level, I could have called more. And I don't know if this will affect my dicision if this happens again. I never think when I make calls or during a game, I just work. It's after I must have the self qritique that is needed to become a good official. And I think I have it, even though I am deaming this weren't a "louzy call".

Talking of qritique, how do you do to improve yourselfs as officials? I've been given the tip to have a mate in the audince (an official too offcours) who can comment on technique and such. But you can't have that evry game, what do you do after the game?

I go through the game, evaluate calls I've made, good once, bad ones, parts were there should be a call and I havn't called it. Then I take this with me and try to improve it to the next game, how do oyu do?