The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I hate the Fed test.. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22534-i-hate-fed-test.html)

cowbyfan1 Mon Oct 10, 2005 05:55am

From the test. "It is a technical foul whenever bench personnel are standing with the clock is running."

This is true and false as we know there are times when it is not a technical. So what is the fed looking for here? I feel it is false as the question says "whenever" because that would lead to thinking that it is a technical period. Am I reading into this??

ChuckElias Mon Oct 10, 2005 06:07am

Quote:

Originally posted by cowbyfan1
there are times when it is not a technical.
I think you just answered your own question, Cowboy. :)

tjones1 Mon Oct 10, 2005 09:22am

I agree, Chuck. Cowboy, the reference is 10-4-4.

JugglingReferee Mon Oct 10, 2005 09:32am

Quote:

From the test. "It is a technical foul whenever bench personnel are standing with the clock is running."
Does it really say that?

"...with the clock is running."

Isn't that a grammatical mistake?

tjones1 Mon Oct 10, 2005 09:36am

75. A technical foul shall be charged whenever bench personnel are standing while the clock is running.

M&M Guy Mon Oct 10, 2005 09:43am

Quote:

This is true and false as we know there are times when it is not a technical. So what is the fed looking for here? I feel it is false as the question says "whenever" because that would lead to thinking that it is a technical period. Am I reading into this??

Be careful about posting an exact quote; it may be copyrighted.

Uh, anyway, this is an example of one of the convoluted Fed. questions that manages to confuse many. I would answer false, just because there is a time bench personnel may stand, and that is to react to a good play. If they were to re-word the question to "It is a technical foul <font color = red>every time</font> bench personnel are standing...", then it might make the question a little easier.

tjones1 Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:

Be careful about posting an exact quote; it may be copyrighted.

Uh, anyway, this is an example of one of the convoluted Fed. questions that manages to confuse many. I would answer false, just because there is a time bench personnel may stand, and that is to react to a good play. If they were to re-word the question to "It is a technical foul <font color = red>every time</font> bench personnel are standing...", then it might make the question a little easier.

I think they are wanting you to know exception "d".

Nevadaref Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:17pm

The reason that question is on there is that an editorial change was made to the coaches' rule this season:

10-4-4 New, 10-5:
A new article was added to 10-4 clarifying when bench personnel may stand. Section 10-5 was reorganized to clarify the head coaches' rule.

The NFHS wants to make sure that everyone got the message. The question is purposely over-inclusive to emphasize that there ARE times when the bench personnel MAY stand.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 11th, 2005 at 02:06 AM]

cowbyfan1 Tue Oct 11, 2005 04:51am

That's what I thought. Like I said I was afraid I was reading too much into it.

w_sohl Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:43pm

I honestly do not understand why this question was so difficult. It is obviously NOT a T whenever bench personnel stand, only in some cases. I think the question is very simple.