The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   50-50 raffle (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22459-50-50-raffle.html)

mick Tue Oct 04, 2005 09:18pm

U.P. here a 50-50 drawing is held quite commonly to raise money for athletic programs. 1/2 the take goes to the winning ticket-holder and the other 1/2 goes to the program.

During the pregame warmups, a ticket seller approached the two officials, and they each bought tickets at the division line.

Question: Would you buy such tickets in front of God and everybody? Would you buy them more privately, ...around the corner? Would you not buy them at all?

mick

missinglink Tue Oct 04, 2005 09:26pm

I buy at every game I work. If I ever win I have always planned to donate the proceeds to the school/club/whoever the sponsor is that night. Every dollar you put in through a ticket sales is helping something but any dollar you took home would hurt in lots of ways.

BktBallRef Tue Oct 04, 2005 09:48pm

Nope, never do it.

It's mostly just a football thing here.

ChuckElias Tue Oct 04, 2005 09:54pm

I never do.

tjones1 Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
I never do.
Dittos

rainmaker Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
I never do.
Dittos

me three

that's a walk Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:40am

Short story about a 50-50 raffle at my home school. I have arrived back from my JV game to watch the local varsity girls game. There is a 50-50 each game. I am across the gym floor from the table when the # is called. I don't win but a lady friend next to me does. She asks me to turn in the ticket for her so I do. Well the young son (6 yrs)of our varsity team coach must have seen me walk across the floor and collect the money. My next game was in that same gym doing the local JV girls. That little guy saw me in my stripes turned to his mother and said "Look mom! When you win the 50-50 you get to come back and ref! Maybe I will have the lucky ticket!" We all had a good laugh....

JRutledge Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:49am

I once considered it, but I think it would be perceived the wrong way if we one the money. If there are conspiracy theories about how officials fix games and call things to help one team win, I really do not think it would look good to participate in something that involves money. Even worse it would raise more questions about our integrity in an unnecessary manner. If you want to donate money to a cause, then do so outside of the public eye.

Peace

dblref Wed Oct 05, 2005 05:46am

I wouldn't do it either. Besides, I don't carry any $$$ on the court.:D

jritchie Wed Oct 05, 2005 09:27am

great story

i never do, but one night my partner did and it was a packed house, big pot, he won about $350, they brought it to him just before the 4th quarter started when they called his number....i couldn't believe he won that big pot, and he did actually take the money...the whole crowd was chanting, "Donate, Donate" it was hilarious, but i wanted to crawl under the scorers table... he never even thought twice and laughed about it the rest of the night...it was a rough 4th quarter with rivalry schools and listening to all the side comments by EVERYONE about the money... wouldn't advise buying a ticket!!!

ChrisSportsFan Wed Oct 05, 2005 09:33am

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
I wouldn't do it either. Besides, I don't carry any $$$ on the court.:D

Most days I don't carry money period.

Funny story: this summer I was working a HS league and I was coming in after my assignor finished his games. He went to his car to get my cash from the previous month's games. I'm trail and we have a made basket so I start heading down the court. He takes a step on the court and hands me some $$ on the run. I take it and then realize I have no pockets in my shorts. I looked at the clock and we still had 14 minutes to go in the half so I just held it in my hand. I don't know if anyone knew or not but my partner got a kick out of it.

TigerBball Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
I once considered it, but I think it would be perceived the wrong way if we ONE the money.

Peace

Grammer Guy, where are you?

So it could be perceived the wrong way if we , one - the money, where is your second point, I was waiting for two.

closely_guarded Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:39am

Re: great story

Quote:

Originally posted by jritchie
the whole crowd was chanting, "Donate, Donate" it was hilarious, but i wanted to crawl under the scorers table... he never even thought twice and laughed about it the rest of the night...it was a rough 4th quarter with rivalry schools and listening to all the side comments by EVERYONE about the money... wouldn't advise buying a ticket!!! [/B]
jritchie's experience should seal it for us. Even if we plan to donate, that still only benefits the home team, leaving us open to criticism/conspiracy theories.

whistleone Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by TigerBball
Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
I once considered it, but I think it would be perceived the wrong way if we ONE the money.

Peace

Grammer Guy, where are you?

So it could be perceived the wrong way if we , one - the money, where is your second point, I was waiting for two.

Not sure where "Grammer Guy" is but spelling guy is calling you out. Grammar. G-r-a-m-m-a-r. Grammar

M&M Guy Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:05am

I believe Mr. Grammar Guy and Mr. Spelling Guy are currently passed out from disbelief.