The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:17am
Esteemed Participant

Truerookie, if there's nothing spectacular going on, and the coach is just standing there, why are you initiating contact with him/her? Unless they do something to get your attention (screaming, waving arms, being a dexter-head, etc) why even pay any attention to the coach?
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Re: Pre-games with coaches?

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
... I will address it in my pregame in the future with the coaches.
When we pre-game U.P. here, it just for the officials.
Coaches are not expected to be within hearing distance.
mick
I may not have put it in a manner I thought it would be taken. I thought after meeting the team captain's you meet the coaches and as you meet the coach I can mention the coaches box. Do you not meet the coaches in U.P? I can cover with my partner.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Truerookie, if there's nothing spectacular going on, and the coach is just standing there, why are you initiating contact with him/her? Unless they do something to get your attention (screaming, waving arms, being a dexter-head, etc) why even pay any attention to the coach?
Is it not a rule or not? a rule is a rule
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
All I am saying the rule states they must remain seated when the clock is running unless they are shout instructions to their players or applauding a spectacular play/effort.
Rook, I'm not trying to pile on, but it sounds to me that you don't really know all the aspects of the Head Coaches' Rule (10-5). The underlined part of what you wrote above is called "coaching" and standing up to coach is not allowed unless your state has adopted the coaching box.

"Shouting instructions" and "applauding an outstanding play" are in two different categories. A coach is allowed to briefly stand for the latter even if your state has not adopted the coaching box. However, a coach may not rise for the former without benefit of a coaching box.

Take another look through 10-5, just to get more familiar with it.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:28am
M.A.S.H.

I think this is a POE this year. So, you're probably going to hear a lot more about this topic.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
What state are you in?

From the coach's statements, I would guess that your state allows the coach to stand in the coaching box. If that's true and he was coaching and not interfering with you, then you have no reason to ask him to sit.

BBR, I am in Missouri.

Rook
Where are you at in Missouri? I'm in St. Louis. Curious where you worked a girls freshman game as it could have ONLY been part of a fall season rec league. Now you're talking about a volunteer parents coaching.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Good question, dj!

Truerookie is admittedly a rookie, so he is still attempting to interpolate all the rules into an easy to understand "system".

For example, if the coach had been standing long enough to get a 20-point lead, then the coaching box rule must be applicable to his State for at least that much of the game.
All of a sudden, from that mishmash of disjointed information, a rookie will remember [outa the blue (or is it gray matter)] a phrase in one of the books and after a little consideration, he acts on it,

So it is that truerookie, though he is still working on the system, has not put together R10-5-1 with Rule 1-13-2 [Note] and with the Case studies of 10.5 where they talk about 'the optional coaching box'.

New officials are just learning and using the letter, not the intent of [certain] rules? They appear to be overly officious, as truerookie obviously appeared to that coach, because all the rules have failed to blend, but will with diligence.

mick
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:50am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Pre-games with coaches?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
... I will address it in my pregame in the future with the coaches.
When we pre-game U.P. here, it just for the officials.
Coaches are not expected to be within hearing distance.
mick
I may not have put it in a manner I thought it would be taken. I thought after meeting the team captain's you meet the coaches and as you meet the coach I can mention the coaches box. Do you not meet the coaches in U.P? I can cover with my partner.
Coaches are invited to the Captain's meeting. 5% will show up because they have all "heard it before".
Generally, our only contact with coaches is 1-1/2 minutes before the game where my partners wish each coach "Good luck", and I wish them to "have a good game".
mick
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Quote:
What state are you in?

From the coach's statements, I would guess that your state allows the coach to stand in the coaching box. If that's true and he was coaching and not interfering with you, then you have no reason to ask him to sit.

BBR, I am in Missouri.

Rook
Where are you at in Missouri? I'm in St. Louis. Curious where you worked a girls freshman game as it could have ONLY been part of a fall season rec league. Now you're talking about a volunteer parents coaching.
So ChrisSportsFan, does Missouri use the box?
mick
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Quote:
What state are you in?

BBR, I am in Missouri.

Rook
So ChrisSportsFan, does Missouri use the box?
mick
Yes and so long as they are using it to coach, I don't even know they're up. (practically speaking)
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 12:38pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:
Good question, dj!

Truerookie is admittedly a rookie, so he is still attempting to interpolate all the rules into an easy to understand "system".

For example, if the coach had been standing long enough to get a 20-point lead, then the coaching box rule must be applicable to his State for at least that much of the game.
All of a sudden, from that mishmash of disjointed information, a rookie will remember [outa the blue (or is it gray matter)] a phrase in one of the books and after a little consideration, he acts on it,

So it is that truerookie, though he is still working on the system, has not put together R10-5-1 with Rule 1-13-2 [Note] and with the Case studies of 10.5 where they talk about 'the optional coaching box'.

New officials are just learning and using the letter, not the intent of [certain] rules? They appear to be overly officious, as truerookie obviously appeared to that coach, because all the rules have failed to blend, but will with diligence.

mick
You and I know that, Mick, and we know that there is way too much going on out on the court to be paying attention to the coaches - unless they do something to attract our attention...sometimes it's hard to remember those early years when the letter of the law was more important to me than the intent...but I just can't imagine confronting a coach who is simply standing there doing absolutely nothing...that's a no-win situation.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 12:49pm
In Memoriam

been there.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good question, dj!

mick
You and I know that, Mick, and we know that there is way too much going on out on the court to be paying attention to the coaches - unless they do something to attract our attention...sometimes it's hard to remember those early years when the letter of the law was more important to me than the intent...but I just can't imagine confronting a coach who is simply standing there doing absolutely nothing...that's a no-win situation.

Well, when that single phrase [coach may not stand] pops to the forefront of a busy mind, and the rest of the rule is yet to be learned, then, yeah, I can see a well-meaning rookie make an uninformed decision.
When that happens, the thought may become dominant and the focus may narrow until the new official just deals with it and ultimately ends up with a "m'bad".
mick

Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

On a kind of funny related topic...I used to lift weights with a guy that was a first year coach. One night I came in and he tells me he got his first T. I asked what he did and he told me he got up off the bench and threw his hands up in the air at a no-call. I said, "Yep, that's a T (this was a freshman HS game)." He tells me he couldn't believe he got it. I asked what the rule was and he tells me the rule almost to the letter, "I can stand to applaud a spectacular play or to instruct my players." I said,"Yep." He says, "I can't believe I didn't get a warning or something." Makes you wonder sometimes.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I asked what the rule was and he tells me the rule almost to the letter, "I can stand to applaud a spectacular play or to instruct my players." I said, "Yep."
That is not what the rule says. (10-5, 1 & 2) allows the coach to stand "to spontaneously react to an outstanding play" but it says nothing about instructing players. The coach may also stand to request a time out, confer with the scorer's table for a correctable error, replace a player within 30 seconds, attend to an injured player (when beckoned) and to confer with his team during a time out or between periods.

If he wants to instruct his players while standing, he needs to be in a state that has adopted the coaching box rule.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 02:30pm
9 times

Quote:
I agree that we should not initiate contact with a coach when things are going along nicely, but I believe that we need to pay attention to what the coach is doing throughout the game. Lots of the screaming, waving arms and being a dexter-head comes, in my experience, from officials not paying attention to what the coach is doing until he demands attention from his actions.

Paying attention to what is going on with the coach can prevent molehills from becoming mountains. Part of officiating is knowing what is going on outside the lines as well as what is going on inside the lines.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019