Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 10:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
[/B]
Clearly if B1 had not fallen over backwards, this would have been a foul on A1. The question is whether B1 loses LGP by falling over backwards. Some in this thread have argued that A.R. 23 after 4-33.4a says that any time a player is on the floor, he/she is in an illegal defensive position. However, looking at 4-33.6, one could argue that B1 has met the requirements to maintain LGP.

[/B][/QUOTE]That's basically what I've been trying to say. The purpose and intent of "guarding" principles and the principle of every player also being able to legally have a position on the court isn't always met by AR23.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 10:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Again, if the defender's on the floor what does the dribbler gain by tripping over him? [/B][/QUOTE]The dribbler gains an automatic blocking foul on the defender, according to a strict application of AR23, no?
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Again, if the defender's on the floor what does the dribbler gain by tripping over him? [/B]
The dribbler gains an automatic blocking foul on the defender, according to a strict application of AR23, no? [/B][/QUOTE]

Could be, I'll keep that in mind for when I see a dribbler purposefuly run over a defender laying on the floor.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 11:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Again, if the defender's on the floor what does the dribbler gain by tripping over him?
The dribbler gains an automatic blocking foul on the defender, according to a strict application of AR23, no? [/B]
Could be, I'll keep that in mind for when I see a dribbler purposefuly run over a defender laying on the floor. [/B][/QUOTE]Aw, c'mon........

I'm just trying to (seriously) find out how far you take AR23. Time/distance never applies?

I can see that AR applying to a post player turning, and then starting their move unaware that a defender's down there and not really having a chance to stop or change direction before falling over the defender. But.....is there no limit though in NCAA?
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Again, if the defender's on the floor what does the dribbler gain by tripping over him?
The dribbler gains an automatic blocking foul on the defender, according to a strict application of AR23, no?
Could be, I'll keep that in mind for when I see a dribbler purposefuly run over a defender laying on the floor. [/B]
Aw, c'mon........

I'm just trying to (seriously) find out how far you take AR23. Time/distance never applies?

I can see that AR applying to a post player turning, and then starting their move unaware that a defender's down there and not really having a chance to stop or change direction before falling over the defender. But.....is there no limit though in NCAA? [/B][/QUOTE]

I already gave you my answer. Virtually every time a dribbler sees a player, any player, on the floor he moves to avoid him. As a practical matter if the dribbler trips over a player on the floor I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt virtually every time. As a rules matter, the AR says B1 "has taken an illegal defensive position". To me, taking an illegal defensive position means he can neither establish LGP nor maintain LGP. If B1 has taken an illegal defensive position then he is solely responsible for any subsequent contact.

In virtually every case.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

ahh

i see the dead horse requires a further beatdown.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Talking Re: ahh

Quote:
Originally posted by deecee
i see the dead horse requires a further beatdown.
No it doesn't. Not at all. No further beatdown. Not for this dead horse. No beatdown at all. No way. No sirree.