The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Do we "look" a certain way? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/21805-do-we-look-certain-way.html)

Mark Padgett Sat Aug 20, 2005 01:33pm

Yesterday, I was at the mall and I ran into an old friend (no - not with my car). He had his cousin with him. We started talking and his cousin (whom I'd never met) told me he played college basketball in HS and then at a DII school.

I told him I was a referee and he said, "I thought so - you look like a referee."

I asked him what a referee "looked like" and he replied "mean".

[Edited by mark padgett on Aug 20th, 2005 at 10:27 PM]

rainmaker Sat Aug 20, 2005 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Yesterday, I was at the mall and I ran into an old friend (no - not with my car). He had his cousin with him. We started talking and his cousin (whom I'd never met) to me he played college basketball in HS and then at a DII school.

I told him I was a referee and he said, "I thought so - you look like a referee."

I asked him what a referee "looked like" and he replied "mean".

The title of this thread says, "Do <i>we</i> look a certain way?"

So what's with the "we"?

JugglingReferee Sat Aug 20, 2005 02:00pm

I'm at this brownpop establishment contributing to the local economy, and from across the room, I see this BEAUTIFUL brunette walking towards me. Naturally, I thought I had mustard on my upper lip, because there was no other reason for her to be appraoching me. Turns out she thought she recognized me, but wasn't sure. (Perhaps it was the dark lighting.)

After talking to her for a few minutes, I learned that she knew it was me by my mannerisms and hand gestures, especially when I pointed. (She used to play in the local women's league.)

As for my "look", I'm not sure if I look like an official or not.

You decide (2nd from left, standing): http://www.wwcfoa.ca/view_pic.php?pi...a04/junior.jpg

Jurassic Referee Sat Aug 20, 2005 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
I'm at this brownpop establishment contributing to the local economy, and from across the room, I see this BEAUTIFUL brunette walking towards me. Naturally, I thought I had mustard on my upper lip, because there was no other reason for her to be appraoching me. Turns out she thought she recognized me, but wasn't sure. (Perhaps it was the dark lighting.)

After talking to her for a few minutes, I learned that she knew it was me by my mannerisms and hand gestures, especially when I pointed. (She used to play in the local women's league.)

You decide (2nd from left, standing): http://www.wwcfoa.ca/view_pic.php?pi...a04/junior.jpg

Yer cute, Jugular!

You never finished your story. Did you end up getting laid? Inquiring minds need to know! :D

Geeze, I hope so. Gets all the poisons out of your system. Lets you run faster too when you're officiating. And longer also(or so I've heard- I can't really remember that far back). It should be just as much part of your pre-game warm-up drills as stretching imho.

tjones1 Sat Aug 20, 2005 05:08pm

The fish nets might of gave yourself away.

[Edited by tjones1 on Aug 20th, 2005 at 06:12 PM]

rainmaker Sat Aug 20, 2005 06:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Did you end up getting laid?... Geeze, I hope so. ...It should be just as much part of your pre-game warm-up drills as stretching imho.

You really are a knuckle-dragger, aren't you?

ref18 Sat Aug 20, 2005 07:55pm

Quote:

Quote:

Yer cute, Jugular!

You never finished your story. Did you end up getting laid? Inquiring minds need to know! :D

Geeze, I hope so. Gets all the poisons out of your system. Lets you run faster too when you're officiating. And longer also(or so I've heard- I can't really remember that far back). It should be just as much part of your pre-game warm-up drills as stretching imho.

:D:D:D:D:D ROTFLMFAO :D:D:D:D

Mark Dexter Sat Aug 20, 2005 09:45pm

Quote:

I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke.

JugglingReferee Sat Aug 20, 2005 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke.
for i := 1 to 10 writeln('I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. ');

Jurassic Referee Sun Aug 21, 2005 06:22am

Quote:

Quote:

I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke. I will not make a "precious bodily fluids" joke.

Well, you'll never get promoted to the exalted "knuckle-dragger" category if you fail to capitalize on opportunities like this. Your loss.

WhistlesAndStripes Sun Aug 21, 2005 05:10pm

Quote:

What's with the orange flags? Did I miss another change?

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 21, 2005 05:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:

What's with the orange flags? Did I miss another change?

W&S,

I am not sure where you're from, but I suspect it may interest you to know that I'm Canajun. Those are the flags we use here, and have been for quite some time. So if you're Canajun and missed that change, I wonder what else you missed; perhaps to move away from leather helmets. :D

Dan_ref Sun Aug 21, 2005 08:35pm

Quote:

Quote:

A great, great movie.

"Mandrake, do you recall what Clemenceau once said about war?"

http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/...den30thumb.jpg

Quote:

You never finished your story. Did you end up getting laid? Inquiring minds need to know!

OK, I'm not entirely clear on this but it might be you might want to have used lie or lay instead of laid. I can remember from high school Sister Mary Lizard asked me to give an example of the proper use of lay, lie or laid in a sentence. I said "I wish I could have laid Gina Marie Kozlowski last Saturday night". Apparently it was incorrect.

Jurassic Referee Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Quote:

A great, great movie.

"Mandrake, do you recall what Clemenceau once said about war?"

http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/...den30thumb.jpg

Quote:

You never finished your story. Did you end up getting laid? Inquiring minds need to know!

OK, I'm not entirely clear on this but it might be you might want to have used lie or lay instead of laid. I can remember from high school Sister Mary Lizard asked me to give an example of the proper use of lay, lie or laid in a sentence. I said "I wish I could have laid Gina Marie Kozlowski last Saturday night". Apparently it was incorrect.

Love that movie. Got it both on DVD and VHS. It is a great one.

As to your grammar lesson, please replace my original question with <i>"Jughead, did you end up boinking her?"</i>. Unlike some knuckledraggers, I always like to use proper English.

JugglingReferee Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:23am

Forsythe Pendleton "Jughead" Jones

Quote:

"Jughead, did you end up boinking her?". Unlike some knuckledraggers, I always like to use proper English.
Heck no, I was too busy eating burgers. After usually only being pursued by Big Ethel, I thought that the beautiful brunette was a set-up. :D