The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

It's one thing for someone to question my judgement on a call, and another issue altogether when I'm questioned (shouted at) because someone didn't know a rule. I have heard of a "clinic" presented by officials to coaches, players, and parents explaining some rules basics and discussing how and why some calls are made or not made.

Given an opportunity, which myths would you spend time discussing?

A few for me:

If you have gone out of bounds, you cannot be the first to touch the ball after returning in bounds.

You must be "set" in order to draw a charge.

You can't move your feet or jump on a spot throw in.

Oh yeah, "over the back" is a foul.

Gotta be more than these.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

S/he's reaching in.
Accidentally slapping the backboard while attempting to block a shot.
Assistant Coaches can ask refs about calls.
Diving for a loose ball and sliding.
3 seconds in the lane is an important call and refs spend alot of effort on it.
The refs really do give a ra(s)s-as(t) about who wins/loses.

I know there's more but that's what comes to mind right now.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy

If you have gone out of bounds, you cannot be the first to touch the ball after returning in bounds.
You can't? Since when? New rule?
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

That a defender touching the ball does not end TC on a last to touch BC violation.

Jumping from BC, catching a pass from the FC and landing in the FC.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:

Go to you dictionary and look up the word myth.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:

Go to you dictionary and look up the word myth.
ROFLMAO
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Awww $hit, dammm i'm dumb sometimes.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now I'm really ROFLMAO!!
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Catching your own airball = travel.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Slapping the backboard during a try is GT.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Now I'm really ROFLMAO!!
Chris - I have this t-shirt that has the following words inscribed on the back: "Don't laugh - your're next"
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

To be honest I would not explain none, because to be honest when the heat of the battle happens they are not goign to remember, so why even explain.

I would like to teach them on how to focus on there team during the time of the game, and leave us the YOU KNOW WHAT ALONE!!!

That is what I would like to teach them.

A good friend of mine is a high school varsity coach. He had a get together about 2 weeks before i had a game of his.

We talked abt a play and I explained to him the rule, he said ok I got it.

During the game that exact play happened, my partner called it. My friend ended up getting a T because he said he has never heard of that rule before. I saw him a week later and he said, man when i got home i rememberd the you and I had talked abt it, but during the game i totally forgot abt it.

So why talk to them. Coaches will be Coaches, Fans will be Fans, Players will be players and we totally stand alone during that game.!!!

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Slapping the backboard during a try is GT.
Of course that's a myth - everyone knows it's BI!
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 10:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

MOST MISUNDERSTOOD BASKETBALL RULES

INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF
APPROVED BASKETBALL OFFICIALS
CENTRAL CONNECTICUT BOARD # 6

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF
STATE HIGH SCHOOL ASSOCIATIONS

1) It is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player of team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not intended by a rule.

2) A player cannot touch the ball, rim, or net if the ball is touching the rim or is within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if itÂ’s in the imaginary cylinder above the rim. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the rim or the net if the ball is above the rim and not touching the rim, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the rim. It is legal to hang on the rim if a player is fouled or a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

3) The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is contacting the ball on its downward flight, above the level of the rim, with a chance to go in. On most layups the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

4) The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot pass over a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds as well as the its supporting structures.

5) The traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot moves. On a pass or a shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation.

6) The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point.

7) When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a jump ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues.

8) A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a playerÂ’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be a double dribble violation.

9) A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that playerÂ’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or call a timeout.

10) Palming or carrying is when the hand is under the ball or when ball rests in the hand. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a playerÂ’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.

11) A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. The player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet.

12) The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin, the defenderÂ’s team will receive a warning. Any subsequent violations will result in a technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a technical foul with no warning. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional foul, with no warning.

13) The inbounding player does not have a plane restriction, but has five seconds to release the ball and it must come directly onto the court. When an inbounding player throws a ball off a player who is standing out of bounds, the player out of bounds has caused it to be out of bounds. The ball can always be passed into the backcourt during a throwin. This situation is not a backcourt violation.

14) If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must reenter at approximately the same spot he or she went out. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds.

15) If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If the defender is moving, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.

16) The hand is part of the ball at all times. This includes holding, dribbling, passing, or even during a shot attempt. Striking the ball handler or a shooter on that playerÂ’s hand, is not a foul, no matter how loud it sounds or how much it hurts.

17) Reaching in is not a foul. The term is nowhere to be found in any rulebook. There must be contact to have a foul. The mere act of reaching in, by itself, is nothing. If contact does occur, itÂ’s either a holding foul or an illegal use of hands foul. When a player, in order to stop the clock, does not make a legitimate play for the ball, holds, pushes or grabs away from the ball, or uses undue roughness, the foul is an intentional foul.

18) Over the back is not a foul. The term is nowhere to be found in any rulebook. There must be contact to have a foul. A taller player may often be able to get a rebound over a shorter player, even if the shorter player has good rebounding position. If the shorter player is displaced, then a pushing foul must be called.

19) A defensive player does not have to remain stationary to take a charge. A defender may turn away or duck to absorb contact, provided he or she has already established legal guarding position, which is both feet on the floor and facing the opponent. The defender can always move backwards or sideways to maintain a legal guarding position and may even have one or both feet off the floor when contact occurs. That player may legally rise vertically. If the defender is moving forward, then the contact is caused by the defender, which is a blocking foul.

20) A ten-second count continues when the defense deflects or bats the ball in the backcourt. When a dribbler is advancing the ball into the frontcourt, the ball maintains backcourt status until both feet and the ball cross the division line.

21) During a throwin, even under a teamÂ’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations. In both cases team control, a player holding or dribbling the ball, has not yet been established.

22) During a throwin or jump ball, any player; or a defensive player, in making a steal; may legally jump from his or her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor, and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or the backcourt. These three situations are not backcourt violations.

23) The closely guarded rule is in effect in frontcourt only, when a defender is within six feet of the ball handler. Up to three separate five-second counts may occur on the same ball handler, holding, dribbling, and holding. The count continues even if defenders switch. The five-second count ends when a dribbler gets his or her head and shoulders ahead of the defender.

24) The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player to gain an advantage. Referees will not call this violation if the player is not gaining an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt.

25) The coach may request and be granted a timeout if his or her player is holding or dribbling the ball. A player saving the ball in the air can ask for and be granted a timeout even if that player is going out of bounds. The key is does the player have definite control of the ball.

26) On free throws there is a maximum of two offensive players and four defensive players in the six designated spots. The defense must be in both bottom spots on all free throws. The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spots must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane. During a free throw, no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower.

27) Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot. An unintentionally kicked ball is never illegal, regardless of how far the ball goes and who recovers it. It is also illegal to hit the ball with a fist.

28) Players may not participate while wearing jewelry. Religious medals or medical alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert medal must be taped and may be visible. Headbands must be made of a single colored cloth. Rubber or cloth elastic bands may be used to control hair. Undershirts must be similar in color to the jersey and shall not have frayed or ragged edges. State associations may on an individual basis, allow a player to participate while wearing a head covering, if it is worn for medical or religious reasons, provided that the covering is not abrasive, hard, or dangerous, and is attached in such a way that it is highly unlikely to come off during play. Written documentation should be available.

29) Officials are not required to explain judgment calls but they may explain some calls, if approached by the head coach in a respectful manner. Officials have been instructed to call technical fouls for profanity, unsporting acts and excessive complaints or verbal abuse.

30) Officials do not make calls that decide the outcome of a game. Players commit fouls and violations; officials view those infractions, judge the action and then apply the rules of the game to what they had viewed. The rules then determine the penalty. Officials are on the court to be the only unbiased arbiters of the game. Officials are not concerned with who wins or loses, but only fairness and safety. Everyone else in that gym cares about winning, and therefore cannot look at the game objectively.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 11:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BillyMac
MOST MISUNDERSTOOD BASKETBALL RULES

2) It is legal to hang on the rim if a player is fouled or a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

10) Palming or carrying is when the hand is under the ball or when ball rests in the hand.

13) The inbounding player does not have a plane restriction, but has five seconds to release the ball and it must come directly onto the court.

14) If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must reenter at approximately the same spot he or she went out.

16) The hand is part of the ball at all times. This includes holding, dribbling, passing, or even during a shot attempt. Striking the ball handler or a shooter on that playerÂ’s hand, is not a foul, no matter how loud it sounds or how much it hurts.

24) The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player to gain an advantage. Referees will not call this violation if the player is not gaining an advantage.

(2) Say what? Where may I find that in the NFHS rule book or case book? I thought it was only legal if the fouled player did so to avoid injury-PERIOD. Just being fouled doesn't give any player license to hang on the rim, does it?

(10) Rules citation, please, to back up that statement.

(13) Can the inbounding player legally step in bounds through the plane then?

(14) Rules citation, please, to back that statement up.

(16) Rules citation, please, to back that statement up. I was always under the impression that it WAS a foul if the defender DELIBERATELY slapped a player's hand while it was on the ball.

(24) Rules citation,please, to back that statement up. That may be how it is taught, but I've never seen that language in a rule book.

Methinks your IAABO board might be misunderstanding a few rules too.