The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Right now I have slacks with belt loops and the v-neck on my striped shirt goes down a little bit farther down than standard, would this be ok to do a junior high level game, black shoes and black socks of course.

What is the procedure when, say, the umpire calls a foul involving free throws, where does the umpire go, where does the ref go?

Thanks
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

JStinski82:
It sounds as if you are a beginning official and I for one can vouch for the expense all new officials incur when first purchasing official's attire. With that said, it is of my opinion that your pants are O.K. I know that "Sansabelt" slacks are preferred and should eventually be required, but I wouldn't go to great expenses of purchasing $45 pants until you know for sure you're going to officiate for awhile. (I was given this advice by an experienced official.)
As for the free throw, it doesn't matter whether the ref or the ump makes the foul call (I'm assuming two official mechanics here.) The calling official reports the foul to the table and then "switches" with his/her partner. Administer the free throw(s) as per your official's manual. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Pirate (edited December 31, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Pirate (edited December 31, 1999).]
Old Sun Jan 02, 2000, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thumbs up

JStinski82
I believe you and all your partners should have a pregame to discuss these very issue's,
all the "what if's" how are we going to handle this! Your partners and i would think referees with more experience should be covering this and helping you along.
Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer!

Good luck, we have all been there.

------------------
Don
Old Mon Jan 03, 2000, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
If your shirt has a deeper V neck then usual, wear a Vneck T-shirt under it with a long lanyard if you have the tie to the shirt kind.

As other have said in a 2 man crew switch trail/lead on all fouls, if you are in three man crew then calling official goes to trail or center on the far side of the court trading places with whoever is there.

One other peice of advice. Become the R as soon as possible.

[This message has been edited by Tim Roden (edited January 03, 2000).]
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Most new 'v' neck shirts are much tighter around the neck. Cliff-Keen and +POS are good examples. Our association sells to our members for $20.00 poly and micro mesh. Most officials eventually go to beltless pants, one less thing to remember to pack, the belt, and they look a little better. If you have an outlet mall with a Haggar Store near, you can get beltless pants for $29.99, if you wear standard lengths. We sell to our members for $30.00 and we pay the shipping.

My crew and most officials I have watched, 3 person mechanics: calling official reports foul, goes opposite table, the lead official steps in and says 2 or 1 & 1 or 3 shots and steps back. The book says the new slot, opposite table is suppose to come in the lane and give the number of shots and step out. We found this a total waste of time, plus our modiified mechanic forces the new lead to look at the calling official for number of shots. It's just another way to train ourselves to maintain eye contact. If you have a state association or supervisor, do the mechanics by the book or as instructed. Arkansas chose not to use any of the new mechanics this year but we rogues have used the modified mechanic described above very sucessfully. Later.