Thoughts?
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
No Native American mascots in the postseason:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/3864772

Thoughts?
That's going to be a big story around here in Champaign. Now, who gets to decide what's considered "hostile and abusive"?

And, aren't you quaking in your boots if you're waiting to play the University of Illinois Fightin' Raccoons?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_event...0803_exec.html
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Dan, I saw that article, but it didn't say that a decision has been reached. So I got the most recent one I could find. Interesting background, tho. Thanks for posting the link.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Here's another article that does say Illinois and Florida State are on the list of "hostile and abusive" mascots.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/general/story/8706749

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy

And, aren't you quaking in your boots if you're waiting to play the University of Illinois Fightin' Raccoons?
Can't be any more frightening than here in Oregon where you face Ducks and Beavers.

BTW - when is the NFL going to wisen up and change the name of the Washington team? That's the most offensive name in pro sports.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Here's another article that does say Illinois and Florida State are on the list of "hostile and abusive" mascots.

Hmmmmm.....

That doesn't sound too bad at all imo. I think maybe I'd like to be one of them when I grow up- "a hostile and abusive mascot".
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Hmmmmm.....

That doesn't sound too bad at all imo. I think maybe I'd like to be one of them when I grow up- "a hostile and abusive mascot".
What? You aren't already? (I meant hostile and abusive, not the grown up part...)

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Hmmmmm.....

What? You aren't already? (I meant hostile and abusive, not the grown up part...)
I ain't ever gonna grow up.

Faith, trust and pixie dust........
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Smile It's About Time!

Bravo to the NCAA! Why did it take so long?

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/LOGOcartoon.lalo.honoring.jpg[/img]

Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Why not just change their mascot name to the Florida Abusers and the Illinois Hostiles? It's not any worse than the Illini, or the Hoosiers or all the other meaningless mascots.

I still think the worst mascot in the world is the Tillamook Cheesemakers...
Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Now Chuck, do you care more about this mascot thing or the google search engine for the site being back up?

Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Why not just change their mascot name to the Florida Abusers and the Illinois Hostiles? It's not any worse than the Illini, or the Hoosiers or all the other meaningless mascots.

I still think the worst mascot in the world is the Tillamook Cheesemakers...
The First Amendment; govern by freedom of speech and artistic expression. I do not see what is so racially, hostile and abusive about any college Mascot. Does it offend who and why? If everything that is offensive had to be changed, then why not start with the English language that degrades women with derogatory words? If I were any of those schools prohibited to use offending Mascots, I would sue the NCAA. Who determines what is offensive? The court of law, is this correct? What perception of a Mascot gives everyone a problem of being portrait as powerful from the history of Native American culture? Hey there could be those who are offended about the name of Bears or the fighting Irish Mascots, then ban the use of all Mascots. Change everything that is offensive, even if it is so cool and honors history. I think the NCAA is being overly sensitive and too politically correct in their latest decision.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 02:19am
Do not give a damn!!

The problem I have with this ruling is every school is not equal. Florida State got their nickname after an actual tribe that not only gave their blessing, but they encouraged a lot of the chants and other things that are used in football games as an example. Illinois uses a mascot with no connection to a tribe or any real Native American culture. There is a big difference between the Seminoles and a team called the Indians or Redskins.

Just an opinion.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Let me just state for the record that I do not like the University of Utah. However, I think it is patently absurd and effusively self-righteous for the NCAA to attempt to ban the Utes' mascot. The school has the blessing of the Ute tribe to use their name, and by all accounts they, the tribe, consider it something of an honor to be represented by such a successful university.

This is just one more shining example of the supposedly enlightened thinking of the self-appointed elite intellectual class seeping from academia and the fringes of society into the mainstream via some respectable but misguided benefactor.

It is unsurprising that it's the governing body of college sports. This is just the latest example of the intellectual fallout from allowing our institutions of higher learning to be overrun by successive generations of liberal intellectuals far more concerned with instructing America's youth about what to think rather than how to think.

After all, we can't be trusted to think for ourselves, we might come to the wrong conclusions.