The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 06:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

My granddaughter Lauren, who is eight, just finished her second week (out of four) at the Nike Soccer Camp (yes, I said the "S" word). This program is by invitation only and she is the youngest player in the camp. It is held at the Nike World Campus in Beaverton and is run by some professional instructors from England. Fortunately, she lives only about 15 minutes from there (my granddaughter - not the instructors).

During the past season, she averaged over two goals per game on a team that scored an average of 3.5 per game. I keep asking my daughter when she is going to enroll Lauren in basketball camp.

BTW - I thought Lauren's idol might be Mia Hamm or Brandy Chastain but it's Hillary Duff.

Also BTW - I hope she signs a shoe contract.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 06:44pm
In Memoriam

ATTAGRAMPA !!!
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Both of my sons have done some rec soccer officiating. But this year, the youngest son Jeremy, is taking the plunge and joining the HS association as well as registering USSF and working weekend travel teams tourneys. He played soccer in high school and has always loved the game. So this is a natural next step. It also pays a lot better than flipping burgers!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
BTW - I thought Lauren's idol might be Mia Hamm or Brandy Chastain but it's Hillary Duff.
Wow, I didn't know she played soccer.

I don't have the pleasure of grandkids yet (and I better not for a while - my kids are 14 and 11!...), but I can see how it's fun to watch their accomplishments. I know in my kids' case, it's great to see what they can do (in spite of me... )

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My granddaughter Lauren, who is eight, just finished her second week (out of four) at the Nike Soccer Camp (yes, I said the "S" word).
I assume this means she's been written out of the will?
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 03:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
My granddaughter Lauren, who is eight, just finished her second week (out of four) at the Nike Soccer Camp (yes, I said the "S" word).
Yeah - and I was gonna leave her my fishnets.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Yeah - and I was gonna leave her my fishnets.
If that's the case, I'm going to start reffing s***er, just in case I'm somehow in the will!
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 11:24am
Administrator

Quote:
My granddaughter Lauren, who is eight, just finished her second week (out of four) at the Nike Soccer Camp (yes, I said the "S" word). This program is by invitation only and she is the youngest player in the camp. It is held at the Nike World Campus in Beaverton and is run by some professional instructors from England. Fortunately, she lives only about 15 minutes from there (my granddaughter - not the instructors).

During the past season, she averaged over two goals per game on a team that scored an average of 3.5 per game. I keep asking my daughter when she is going to enroll Lauren in basketball camp.

Also BTW - I hope she signs a shoe contract.

I didn't know your were old to have grandchildren. Congratulations.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Congrats to the kids Mark. I am sure your genes are found somewhere in that kids body.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 01:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Congrats to the kids Mark. I am sure your genes are found somewhere in that kids body.
How do you tell a boy chromosome from a girl chromosome? You pull down their genes and look.

Sorry.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 01:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Sorry.
Yes.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

good for him

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Both of my sons have done some rec soccer officiating. But this year, the youngest son Jeremy, is taking the plunge and joining the HS association as well as registering USSF and working weekend travel teams tourneys. He played soccer in high school and has always loved the game. So this is a natural next step. It also pays a lot better than flipping burgers!
As you know I ref both NFHS and USSF matches. If your son needs any soccer officiating advice or help, I'd be happy to do what I can.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
How do you tell a boy chromosome from a girl chromosome? You pull down their genes and look.

Sorry.

Oh, jeez.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[B]My granddaughter Lauren, who is eight, just finished her second week (out of four) at the Nike Soccer Camp (yes, I said the "S" word). This program is by invitation only and she is the youngest player in the camp. It is held at the Nike World Campus in Beaverton and is run by some professional instructors from England. Fortunately, she lives only about 15 minutes from there (my granddaughter - not the instructors).

-----------------------------------------------------------
Padgett,
You need a bumper sticker that reads SOCCER GRANDPA! Sounds like she has a knack for a TREMENDOUS sport with HUGE opportunities for young people today! I hope you'll take the time to learn the game. In many ways it is like basketball on a big grass field. You dribble. You pass. You shoot. You score! I love officiating soccer. I loved coaching soccer. I love watching my son play. I hope I watch him play in college in the future. With your grandaughter's talent, sounds like the "S" word just might become a big part of your vocabulary!
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 11:18am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
In many ways it is like basketball on a big grass field. You dribble. You pass. You shoot. You score!
You're kidding, of course. I can't get excited about a game in which many of the final scores are 0-0.

BTW - despite how good she is in that sport, Lauren says she wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up. She loves dogs and horses and wants to help sick ones get better.

Sounds good to me.