The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 11:01pm
Huck Finn

As far as I know Ted has voiced a problem with one of the officials that was in that game with him. He speaks of the "incident" but he doesn't really come out and talk bad about coach Knight. At least not the times I have talked to him or heard him talk.

I think his body language and movements make him stand out but it is not as bad as some. It is a proven fact that there is an official out west that had a very low percentage of good calls in the final four of 2004. Yet, he is held in high regard. Meanwhile, he looks like a total BAFOON while doing it! How does this differ from Teddy? Teddy is strong with his movements and getting solid angles. His mechanics are one of a kind but he has had a good look. It's not like he is jumping around, going too low at the C/stopping in the middle of the paint and getting horrible angles all the time. Someone should try to jump around for a few minutes and see what kind looks you get.

Sorry for the rant, I've been in a class all week and had some stuff bottled up.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

SI meets David Yancey

Right below the Ted Valentine paragraph, is an article about a 14 year old official I know very well.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...houghts/2.html

It is about half way down the page.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 06:41pm
In Memoriam

Re: SI meets David Yancey

Quote:
Originally posted by Umpire47
Right below the Ted Valentine paragraph, is an article about a 14 year old official I know very well.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...houghts/2.html

It is about half way down the page.
Umpire47,
Good for that lad.
Welcome to the forum.
mick
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Does Knight like any official?
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love this Game
to be honest Bobby and him dont have a issue, it is just that Bobby tries to get away with things and Ted is not trying to hear it.

I read a article when Bobbie has a lot of respect for Ted and the way he calls the game
He just doesn't respect the fact that he does it 5-6 nights a week.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

I remember watching that game and thinking Ed Hightower hung him out to dry. I can't remember who the third guy was. But the second T should have come from Hightower. The other two officials clearly distanced themselves from him during the mishap.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 11:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

"Sports Illlustrated" Off Topic

The reference to "Sports Illustrated" in this thread gives me a good excuse to bring in a real off topic question. I hope Basketball Forum members don't mind:

On page 58 of the March 12, 2007 issue of "Sports Illustrated" is a photograph of a NCAA wrestling official. He's wearing one red wristband, on his left wrist, and one green wristband, on his right wrist. I don't know anything about NFHS, or NCAA wrestling, or how these sports are officiated, but I believe that there must be a reason for these nonmatching wristbands. Maybe some Forum members have a brother-in-law, colleague at work, or a friend who officiates wrestling, who can find out the reason for this "fashion faux-pas"?

My son is a wrestling expert, in college he hosted a call-in talk show about wrestlng, but it was the professional, "entertainment" variety of wrestling. I don't see Hulk Hogan or The Undertaker mentioned in the "Sports Illustrated" article, so I know my son can't help me out with this question.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969
I remember watching that game and thinking Ed Hightower hung him out to dry. I can't remember who the third guy was. But the second T should have come from Hightower. The other two officials clearly distanced themselves from him during the mishap.
Here's an article about it from Ted Valentine's perspective:

http://www.referee.com/sampleArticle...knightext.html
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
On page 58 of the March 12, 2007 issue of "Sports Illustrated" is a photograph of a NCAA wrestling official. He's wearing one red wristband, on his left wrist, and one green wristband, on his right wrist. I don't know anything about NFHS, or NCAA wrestling, or how these sports are officiated, but I believe that there must be a reason for these nonmatching wristbands. Maybe some Forum members have a brother-in-law, colleague at work, or a friend who officiates wrestling, who can find out the reason for this "fashion faux-pas"?
Billy - I believe these are used for scoring. The green hand is used to indicate a point by one of the players and the red hand is used to indicate points for the other player.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 01:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks

Mark Dexter: Thanks. I don't see points awarded in the WWE matches my son watches. The loser is usually the one who gets a folding chair banged over their head, but, as they say in show business, "That's entertaiment".
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 02:11pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969
You are right and Teddy didn't like it either. It was an issue for quite some time. Actually, I was surprised to see Hightower and Valentine on a Big Ten game earlier this year. I'm not saying this was the first time they worked together since then, but it still surprised me.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Billy - I believe these are used for scoring. The green hand is used to indicate a point by one of the players and the red hand is used to indicate points for the other player.
This is exactly correct. Wrestlers have always been rather fond of christmas too, thus, the red and green.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
The reference to "Sports Illustrated" in this thread gives me a good excuse to bring in a real off topic question. I hope Basketball Forum members don't mind:

The bands correspond to the ankle strap that each wrestler wears, red, or green. When someone is awarded points, the referee indicates the number of points on the hand with that corresponding colored wristband.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
You are right and Teddy didn't like it either. It was an issue for quite some time. Actually, I was surprised to see Hightower and Valentine on a Big Ten game earlier this year. I'm not saying this was the first time they worked together since then, but it still surprised me.
Interesting article: http://www.referee.com/sampleArticle...knightext.html
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Award

What award did Valentine win?