The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Try this one:

A tips the ball OOB at the jump ball to start the game. Before the R hands that ball to a B player, a TO is granted. Upon returning from the TO, team B takes too long in the huddle. R eventually places the ball on the floor. B1 runs over to prevent the 5-second violation and curses the R. B1 is charged with a technical foul.

Fed?
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

preventive officiating would kill this thread...i don't care how long the team was in their huddle (within reason), i would not place the ball on the floor a few seconds into the game...

[Edited by jr on Jul 28th, 2005 at 02:29 AM]
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm glad you made a change to your original post, because it originally had no meat in it whatsoever.

So in other words it is possible that you agree with placing the ball on the floor. I never mentioned how much longer than the allowed time B took in the huddle and you claim that at some point (no longer "within reason"), you would place the ball on the floor.

Just give your ruling.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by jr
preventive officiating would kill this thread...i don't care how long the team was in their huddle (within reason), i would not place the ball on the floor a few seconds into the game...

Oh? What would you do as an alternative then? Iow, what is your "preventive officiating"?
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

It's all about the AP arrow.

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Try this one:

A tips the ball OOB at the jump ball to start the game. Before the R hands that ball to a B player, a TO is granted. Upon returning from the TO, team B takes too long in the huddle. R eventually places the ball on the floor. B1 runs over to prevent the 5-second violation and curses the R. B1 is charged with a technical foul.

Fed?
OK, NFHS rules:
The AP arrow is initially set when the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower for this throw-in since no player established control before the the OOB violation. (4-3-3a) So the arrow is set toward A's basket.
B1 is charged with a T. Two FTs are awarded to any member of Team A and Team A will also have possession of the ball at the division line opposite the table following the FTs as part of the penalty for the T. Team A keeps the arrow pointed in their direction (since they are not receiving the throw-in due to the AP arrow, but as part of the penalty for the T), and will get the throw-in for first held ball situation that occurs in the game or to start the 2nd Quarter, whichever happens first.

BTW, I absolutely would place the ball down on the floor in this situation. It is nice and early in the game and will put an end to this foolishness right away. What better time could you do this than a few seconds into a game?