The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I'm trying to find as many things as possible to help me improve at this avocation.

Has anyone taken the Officiating Principles Course online at http://www.asep.com?

If so, do you recommend it?
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 01:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by BLydic
I'm trying to find as many things as possible to help me improve at this avocation.

Has anyone taken the Officiating Principles Course online at http://www.asep.com?

If so, do you recommend it?
And....how long have you been selling this thing...er, I mean, how long have you been officiating?
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,

I knew the question sounded like it was right out of the marketing department, but I really am considering the course. I've just finished my 4th season as a basketball official and I would like to take advantage of any opportunity to learn and improve. Thought I'd run it passed everyone (anyone) to see if the cost was remotely worth it.

Thanks for the reply
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Mark,

The NF is selling this course, not this guy. The price is the same if you go to the NF website and take the course. I just posted about this in another thread.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 02:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BLydic
Mark,

I knew the question sounded like it was right out of the marketing department, but I really am considering the course. I've just finished my 4th season as a basketball official and I would like to take advantage of any opportunity to learn and improve. Thought I'd run it passed everyone (anyone) to see if the cost was remotely worth it.

Thanks for the reply
Do not mind Mark, he has to make a joke out of everything here. That is just what he does.

I have seen a short demonstration with this course from Mary Struckoff at our IHSA Convention. It seems worth it if you feel you are not getting any good training from your state or local association. In my state we have a lot of camps and we can learn great things from this program. From my standpoint the course seems good for an official's association to buy and us the information (they send you a CD with information) and use for your local association. You can buy just the CD alone and not take the course. I believe Mary said it was $29. If you feel you are not getting enough information or training from your area, the course might be perfect. I personally think the program would not apply to me or many in my state or association because we have some of the best clinics and training opportunities in the country. Also one of the reasons the course created to allow for some certification requirements so if you move from one state to another, so you can prove you have a certain level of competency in that respective sport.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

JRutledge,

Thanks for the reply and your take on this material, it is appreciated. I'm curious, did you see a demo of the principles course or did you happen to get an early look at the basketball specific course?

I agree, clinics and camps are the best, I try and attend at least two every year (that's about as many as I can get away with, with my better half). Since I have done my two this summer, I was looking for something else that is more, for the lack of a better term, convenient.

[Edited by BLydic on Jul 27th, 2005 at 03:59 PM]
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 03:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

She used the Basketball Course as the example. Basically the basketball course is finished and it will be mailed sometime this week. The training is both online and with a CD and book. The course takes anywhere from 20-30 hours to complete. We mainly saw the online portion of the course and some of the CD. I am sure it is a great course and I do not want to minimize its importance. I just see it as one resource and might be better for newer officials. There were a lot of diagrams and graphics that seem really useful. You can click on many things in the graphics and get a detailed explanation. So it looks like there is a lot there to use, I just would not rely on it as my only training resource.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 04:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Do not mind Mark, he has to make a joke out of everything here. That is just what he does.
No, I don't.

BTW - I just blew in from Seattle and boy, is my whistle tired!
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 04:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

No, I don't.

BTW - I just blew in from Seattle and boy, is my whistle tired!
Could be worse. You coulda just flew in from Seattle, and boy, are your arms tired.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

I think that the Federation came up with this course last season or maybe even a little before then. The idea has been broached by our state office that taking this course could be mandatory to work postseason games.
Nothing in stone yet, but the idea has been tossed out there.