The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Last week I took the family down to Playa Del Carmen for a few days and then we ended up staying a couple of days in Cancun. In fact, we were on the last plane out of the Cancun International Airport on Sunday before they closed it due to the incoming hurricane. On Friday night we were on our taxi ride back from dinner and as we passed a well-lit area, I noticed several people in basketball uniforms so I started checking it out. They had 2 outdoor courts with games running and I noticed they had officials. Since our hotel was only a couple of blocks, my Son and I went over to check it out. It was a summer HS league so we found a spot on the bleachers near the scorers table. Luckily, one of the officials spoke a little english and I speak a little spanish so we were able to communicate. They were using FIBA rules which was also interesting to observe.

Here's my question: Is this covered under FIBA rules or was this a house rule, when the ball is a the disposal of the freethrow shooter, can players outside the 3 point line still enter the circle and take a spot along the lane? It happened on almost every freethrow and also there was oftentimes a D player outside the 3 point line but down in the corner almost to the baseline. They never spoke or waived arms to try and disconcert but it still was different than what I'm used to.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Probably just the officials being lenient, or a special modification.

FIBA states (43.2.4) players on the lane "must not enter the restricted area, the neutral zone or the leave the rebound place until the ball has left the hands of the free throw shooter".

All others (43.2.5) "shall remain behind the free throw line extended and beyond the 3 point line until the ball touches the ring or the free throw ends."