The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 05:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
One of the less-regarded officials in our area is forever telling the story of a defensive player who yelled "AAUUUGGGH" [not sure of the spelling] in an offensive player's face. The guy whacked him and said "Technical. Taunting." As he went to report, the partner was following him to the table after having whacked the kid again for saying that was a BS call. So, now the kid is gone for 2 games and a report is in need of filing. Another thread is similar to this story and could very well end up with the same result. And you know what? The kid was RIGHT! Although he probably should have expressed himself differently. I can well imagine the scene when the kid yelling "Ball!" gets teed up. Around here, with the mouthguard rule, it is hard enough to communicate let alone expectorate.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Not knowing what happened, this may not have been a bullsh!t call.

In order for a better understanding, was this during a live ball situation, a dead ball situation? What was the context surrounding this?

IMHO, the kid should've shut up after the first T. That's not the correct way to react and the kid shouldn't have done that. That one isn't the officials fault.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
If the defensive player did this immediately after blocking A1's shot, I think the T was a no-brainer. It's all about context.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck's right, but I would think it'd have to be a fairly specific context for this kid - if he's acting like a goofball - not to have deserved the T.

But you never know. Most of the time, you just gotta be there. Less regarded or not, unless he's prone to whacking everything in sight, maybe he deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one?
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Taunting? HTBT, but it definately could be.

As to the second T, I don't care how BS the call was, the kid needs to shut his damn mouth. Players need to realize when they're under the microscope, and adjust their behavior appropriately.

This thread reminds me of an indoor soccer game I was reffing once. I ejected a kid for two slide tackles (each of which earned a yellow card). His team argued that the first one was iffy (it was, and I will fully admit that I'm not the best soccer referee out there). My response was that after being pegged for one, he should have been that much more careful and not get called for the second (which was definately a slide tackle).
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
One of the less-regarded officials in our area is forever telling the story of a defensive player who yelled "AAUUUGGGH" [not sure of the spelling] in an offensive player's face. The guy whacked him and said "Technical. Taunting."
Why is it that the "less-regarded" officials are always telling about the time they T'd so-and-so, or the time they had this sitch leading up to a T? The better officials don't do this, even about times when they were 100% correct, except in very specific (and usually private) circumstances.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 08:23am
Aleve Titles to Others

As I understand it, from the many retellings of this story, this was on an OOB play. Agreed that the second T was just in response to the kid's reaction. This is a guy who leans against the wall on one arm during JV games among other things.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

So by OOB play I'm assuming the ball was dead right?? If that's the case, I would've T'd the kid too.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Letting us know that this was an out of bounds play does not make this any clearer.

The question I have was the kid purposely doing something to the opponent or was the opponent just happened to be standing there? This sounds more like a talk to than anything. Then again I would have to be there. But if this was told by a "lesser official," than I might be more inclined to think he could have passed on this play.

Peace
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 11:37am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Letting us know that this was an out of bounds play does not make this any clearer.

The question I have was the kid purposely doing something to the opponent or was the opponent just happened to be standing there? This sounds more like a talk to than anything. Then again I would have to be there. But if this was told by a "lesser official," than I might be more inclined to think he could have passed on this play.

Peace
Well, it is an often told story by him. No chance to do pre-games with him as he arrives just before game time and he tells this story as he is getting ready. I believe it occurred after a made basket. Bear in mind, this official called it taunting although he has not said the kid who yelled was doing this after scoring on a layup and therefore rubbing it in. After hearing this story a dozen times [at least] I have blocked out a lot of it each new time he tells it.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 11:42am
Do not give a damn!!

I have a tendency not to pay that much attention to officials that are either not on the level I am, or they are not on a level that I am trying to get to. So if it makes him feel better by telling this story over and over, I probably would have tuned him out long time ago.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Why is it that the "less-regarded" officials are always telling about the time they T'd so-and-so, or the time they had this sitch leading up to a T? The better officials don't do this, even about times when they were 100% correct, except in very specific (and usually private) circumstances. [/B]
__________________________________________________ _________

What also amazes me is how much some officials love to T people up. I personally get no joy from giving a technical -- with the exception of one total smart a#% coach. I've given plenty and will continue to do so without reservation or second thoughts when they are deserved. But I can't say I ever liked doing it because I don't like the lack of sportsmanship that caused the need for it in the first place.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

I agree with NevRef. It is never fun to access a T. I worked a camp this weekend where I had to call 3 T's and passed on 2 more that I should have called. 2 of the T's were playes litterally shouting profanity after missed lay ups. One was a coach who was on me and my partner the whole first half. He crossed the line when he told me that I was cheating- favoring the local team.

One I passed on the player slammed the ball on the floor at my feet after a call. His coach removed him before I could wack him. He did not return to the game.

Bottom line I called the T's that needed to be called. But always worry in the back of my mind that I will get the label of the guy that T's everthing in sight.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Man In Blue
Bottom line I called the T's that needed to be called. But always worry in the back of my mind that I will get the label of the guy that T's everthing in sight.
Teams like that probably have a fairly long list of refs with that label! I wouldn't sweat it...
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 12:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Man In Blue

You really need to get past that idea. A technical foul is just another call that comes up in the course of a game. I don't have a clue where the idea started with some people that calling a "T" might show a lack of game control or sumthin' like that, but that idea is completely wrong. Just call the "T" if it's warranted, and then forget about it the same as you do with any other call.