The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 05:53am
Huck Finn

I recently had a partner that was ball watching big time. I was pissed at first because I had to do two games with him and it was obvious early that he was looking all over the court. He was also very chatty. He felt the need to explain many of his calls and my calls too to the players. He also had to have the ball after he made a call from the lead resulting in two shots before he went to the table. To top all of this off he wasn't the most physically fit guy in the world This guy was doing things like I would report a foul at the table and he would yell for the subs to come in while he was on the baseline. This wasn't a yound official either so I had to use different tactics.
I haven't worked with anyone like this in a long time so I figured it out quickly. Instead of watching 10 people (players) I had to watch 11. I was often watching him watching the ball that was about 7 feet from me. I had to have a whole new management strategy. Eye contact on double fouls was out the window. If it was in my primary it was mine period. My whistle and voice was quicker and louder than his so if it was my call he didn't have a chance.
When I physically can't get up and down the court, when I have no desire to stay current on the rules and mechanics and when I become a bad partner I pray that I will swiftly get out of officiating.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I hear ya. I had some health issues last year and went into the season a good 20-30 pounds heavier than I like to be. I still worked my butt off and it drove me nuts when I would be in the lead during free throws and could get down the court faster than my partner to the point I could end up being lead on the other end of the court.

This same partner T'd a coach for basically asking a question. It was not anything that closely deserved a T. Coach dropped her jaws and looked at me. I just turned and went to the lead where the free throws were going to be shot. I knew he was wrong.

[Edited by cowbyfan1 on Jul 1st, 2005 at 07:50 AM]

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I recently had a partner that was ball watching big time. I was pissed at first because I had to do two games with him and it was obvious early that he was looking all over the court. He was also very chatty. He felt the need to explain many of his calls and my calls too to the players. He also had to have the ball after he made a call from the lead resulting in two shots before he went to the table. To top all of this off he wasn't the most physically fit guy in the world This guy was doing things like I would report a foul at the table and he would yell for the subs to come in while he was on the baseline. This wasn't a yound official either so I had to use different tactics.
I haven't worked with anyone like this in a long time so I figured it out quickly. Instead of watching 10 people (players) I had to watch 11. I was often watching him watching the ball that was about 7 feet from me. I had to have a whole new management strategy. Eye contact on double fouls was out the window. If it was in my primary it was mine period. My whistle and voice was quicker and louder than his so if it was my call he didn't have a chance.
When I physically can't get up and down the court, when I have no desire to stay current on the rules and mechanics and when I become a bad partner I pray that I will swiftly get out of officiating.
Partners like that make your job harder than it already is. I feel for you. Having that kind of partner may throw off your mechanics for future games.

How was WVIAC camp?
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brianp134
Quote:
Partners like that make your job harder than it already is. I feel for you. Having that kind of partner may throw off your mechanics for future games.

How was WVIAC camp?

There is a guy like this in my home town. I have been out of high school for over 20 years. And this guy was doing my high school games. He used to be the man, but the game has caught him and passed him up.

He is still doing games with knee braces, wearing white socks, white t-shirt underneath, even sometimes a metal whitsle.

But because of who he used to be people still give him games.

We did a AAU 10/11 grade boys championship game, he comes to me before the game and said. He will stay table side and i will work the other side. Said he is not switching, and I think in my younger days i would have forced him to switch but I said that would be counter productive.

So what i do when I work with someoen like that, I kinda find out where his/her eyes are, and try to look at the other spots.

Because if he looking at the ball, that means there are no eyes off ball. So just work fast and get the game over with instead of trying to force the issue. It will drive you crazy

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Love this Game

So what i do when I work with someoen like that, I kinda find out where his/her eyes are, and try to look at the other spots.

Because if he looking at the ball, that means there are no eyes off ball. So just work fast and get the game over with instead of trying to force the issue. It will drive you crazy
I wouldn't recommend it in the regular season, but in summer ball, this can be an interesting way to train yourself to really force yourself to look off-ball.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 08:47am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

I wouldn't recommend it in the regular season, but in summer ball, this can be an interesting way to train yourself to really force yourself to look off-ball.
This whole situation would not happen in a regular season game!
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We hope!
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Maybe not at the level you work, but it sure does at JV and under. The best thing is to just work with the person the best you can, be pleasant and cheerful but also firm and unyielding on the rules, and practice watching off-ball. Or as mick likes to say,

"Get in,
Get done,
Get out."
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 10:40am
Huck Finn

When working a JV game I think it would depend on your partner. If my partner is young the message would be simple "quit watching the ball all over the court." An older partner set in their ways would be harder to talk to. I did one JV game last season (man did I love getting home early. The guys tried to get me to stay and do 3-man for the varsity. I told them maybe next time) and the guy I worked with is set in his ways. He wasn't blowing the whistle everywhere so we:

Got in
Got is done
Got is done for four more minutes
Got out
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Oh you are so right, it would never happen in a regular game.

I worked with him 15 years ago, I did my first varsity game with this guy. So I was prepared for him i knew what to expect.

In a regular game I would force him to move. Or he would be standing there looking silly.

But during the summer why stress yourself out.

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
I would say regular season it does happen - maybe not very often, but at the JV or lower levels, it definitely DOES happen. Some officials just refuse to switch even during the regular season, and since game assignments are political in our area, it doesn't matter how bad or out of shape you are, if the assignor likes you, you get games.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 12:13am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
I would say regular season it does happen - maybe not very often, but at the JV or lower levels, it definitely DOES happen. Some officials just refuse to switch even during the regular season, and since game assignments are political in our area, it doesn't matter how bad or out of shape you are, if the assignor likes you, you get games.
When I say it wouldn't happen I mean I would say something about it the first chance I got.