View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I recently had a partner that was ball watching big time. I was pissed at first because I had to do two games with him and it was obvious early that he was looking all over the court. He was also very chatty. He felt the need to explain many of his calls and my calls too to the players. He also had to have the ball after he made a call from the lead resulting in two shots before he went to the table. To top all of this off he wasn't the most physically fit guy in the world This guy was doing things like I would report a foul at the table and he would yell for the subs to come in while he was on the baseline. This wasn't a yound official either so I had to use different tactics.
I haven't worked with anyone like this in a long time so I figured it out quickly. Instead of watching 10 people (players) I had to watch 11. I was often watching him watching the ball that was about 7 feet from me. I had to have a whole new management strategy. Eye contact on double fouls was out the window. If it was in my primary it was mine period. My whistle and voice was quicker and louder than his so if it was my call he didn't have a chance.
When I physically can't get up and down the court, when I have no desire to stay current on the rules and mechanics and when I become a bad partner I pray that I will swiftly get out of officiating.
Partners like that make your job harder than it already is. I feel for you. Having that kind of partner may throw off your mechanics for future games.

How was WVIAC camp?