The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Does anybody find that you have to change your calling styles for boys vs. girls when doing games? Is your calling style more affected by the style of play during the game itself?

Where I ref, htere is a different reffing style between the city (Chicago) boys and suburban boys games, and a similar difference between the city girls and suburban girls games as well. I have been part of games where a play that is a foul in a suburban game is 'talked off' in a city game. Suburban games get more handcheck calls and less 'incidental contact'. Suburban girls games are called a lot tighter still. Is anyone else working both sides and noticing this as well?
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe...?

Sean,

I think some of it has to do w/ the advantage/disadvantge concept. In the boys game, since many of the players are stronger, there is the possibility of contact causing more of a disadvantage than in a girls game, especially a lower classification girls game. The pace of the game (boys and higher girls obviously being faster) and the brand of basketball may also go into this.

As far as suburban v. city...the styles of play are apples and oranges compared to each other. The city game, I think almost inherently, is quicker and more physical, and because of such some officals may be inclined to "let them play more." This is just my humble opinion, though.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I work both sides. I don't see it so much as a girls/boys thing as a level of talent and body control thing. It takes less contact to cause a foul at the frosh boys level than it does at boys Varsity level. Same concept... we always have to adjust to the level of play and intensity of the game.

I've reffed the Seattle city schools and the suburban schools as well. Again, as a crew we try to adjust to the talent and intensity level. Those two things being equal, we don't call a city game different from a suburban game.

Z
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Agreed. My city assignors want the game to proceed and let them play. Suburban wants more "basketball" to be played, so the refs should set the tone.

Here, we just had one assignor get the contract for all of our south suburban games on the boys and girls side, so it will be interesting to see how the games are officiated now.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
major difference.
Speed of the game.
Height above the rim.
held balls.

I don't care how tired or hurt I am. I always feel better after a boys game because I had to work harder.

At the top varsity levels. The girls game is a better game. As far as changing the calling styles, you bet. But don't tell anyone I said so. Theortically I call both games the same way. I also swing my driver the same way I swing a pitching wedge.:-) In reality each game is its own. I have to call each game based on what each game brings me. A heated rivalry in February will be called differently than two teams that have never played each other in November. Even though they are both boys varsity.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 02:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

What I have found is that much of the differences between city and suburban schools are a myth. I have worked a lot of city games and they cry the most when they get just a little contact. I have worked suburban teams and they complain heavily when we do not let them play more. The bottom line is you are not going to make everyone happy. I tend to piss off both areas because I call the game and make the players adjust. So if I call a hand check early, I will keep calling hand checking the rest of the game when it is appropriate. You will never make everyone happy. One of the problems I think city schools have is unfortunately they do not see a lot of the playoff officials. Chicago has 70+ schools in the Public School districts and they play there games at 3:30 in the afternoon. Unfortunately, there are a lot of games not refereed by officials that work deep in the playoffs. Not to say that some officials are not working those games, but many newer, less experienced officials are working games in the city. So when the playoffs come, many of the city schools have to now adjust to a style of officiating they have not seen most of the year.

Just my two cents.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Rut makes an interesting point about seeing different officials. I know that here in VA some teams have had a problem when they come into our area because all of our games are 3-whistle, and in some places, teams don't see 3-whistle until they get into the playoffs.

To go back to the original question, I think that the games have to be called differently. At least where I am, there is a vast difference between the genders. I have always felt that it is easier to officiate preventatively in a boys game because they tend to act in predictable ways. With the girls, sometimes you just never know what you are going to get. Although, I can only speak for ball where I am-- every place is different.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
Rut makes an interesting point about seeing different officials. I know that here in VA some teams have had a problem when they come into our area because all of our games are 3-whistle, and in some places, teams don't see 3-whistle until they get into the playoffs.

Why do they struggle? 3-person doesn't necessarily make for more calls, just better ones because officials get to see the whole play instead of just the end of it.

Z

Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Z-

I have noticed that they will get frustrated because they get more off-ball calls than they may be accustomed to. Usually, it is the coaches that talk about it, but that is never a surprise.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

The boys game is vertical.

The girls game is horizontal.

So of course it is called differently.

I don't think there is a major difference in city/urban vs suburban if they both have a comparable number of students. It really is more of a big school vs small school type of thing, unless the small school is private and can recruit.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Of course they're called differently. They're played differently, so you have to call them differently. As to how to talk about that, I use one over-riding vocabulary -- advantage/disadvantage.

There's a lot more incidental contact in girls' ball, and that requires more concentration on seeing the next play develop, reffing the defense, and having a patient whistle. At the lower levels of play in girls, you need to call more, since those girls can't play through as much. Especially in a mis-matched game, the more aggressive team needs to be held in check if the lower-skilled team cant adjust. At the upper levels of girls play, I see a lot more contact as incidental -- at least that's the way it's called around here. The calls are similar to boys, but there's a lot more stuff that goes just below the radar.

In boys', the play is faster and the contact is cleaner -- more obviously foul or not (except in the low post). There's more up and down the floor, and more up in the air. You have to focus on calling the obvious, let everything else play itself out, and protect the shooter. Don't give the cheap and-one. Low level boys ball is easier to call, because the contact is so rough, but it's harder to keep the attitudes in check.

It depends on your area whether inner-city vs suburban ball is better. Around here, there is some very good boys ball in both inner city and suburbs. Girls are better in certain suburban leagues, other suburbs aren't as good, and the inner city is, well to be charitable, frustrating at best. Around here.