The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Size of Floor (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/21054-size-floor.html)

rainmaker Wed Jun 29, 2005 09:09am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
This could well be one of the best theoretical topics even posted on this forum.

I'm pressed for time now, but will return at a later time and expound upon this.

Why thank you, Nevada.

I can hardly wait!

ChuckElias Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
From seeing and working games on both size courts, I have come to the conclusion that the game is vastly different on a 94-foot floor than it is on the 84-foot court.
Vastly? I don't really see that. It's only 10 more feet in length. Three more dribbles per fast-break. Not enough to make the players significantly more tired. Not that big a deal IMHO.

I think it would be a much bigger deal to move the NBA-sized players to a smaller court than to move HS-sized players to a bigger court.

Tim Roden Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17pm

The High school game works on both floors. I don't think that most high school players even know that there is a difference most of the time. They know something is different but they don't know what. A Junior High game or an elementary level game on the big floor is a different story. Many of the elementary games are done on floors even down to 74 feet. So they would know the diffence in a heartbeat. BTW I worked an adult league on a 74 foot floor. A lot of fun. Doing a one man officiating job, the officials I know playing in the games wanted to know why they even bothered to pay me. I never did any work. I just stood at mid court the whole game.

Kelvin green Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:58pm

We play a pro league in the summer here with a lot of big guys. The shorter/narrower courts allows for a super fast transition and the extra ten feet makes a lot of difference when a team goes fast. Its harder for a team to play D. It also compacts the big guys is a more confined space and allows for more banging...

94 ft is a must for the big guys...

refnrev Sat Jul 02, 2005 09:49pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tim Roden
[B]The High school game works on both floors. I don't think that most high school players even know that there is a difference most of the time. They know something is different but they don't know what. A Junior High game or an elementary level game on the big floor is a different story. Many of the elementary games are done on floors even down to 74 feet. So they would know the diffence in a heartbeat.
__________________________________________________ _________

There is a Jr. High tourney in town here every fall and they play at the local jr. college. Let me tell you, the younger players are out of gas on that 94' floor by the end of the game, especially the ones whose home gyms are 74'. One very small school has a gym that is so small they have a double mid court line. You can imagine what a shock that floor is for them.

rainmaker Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:22pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by refnrev
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim Roden
The High school game works on both floors. I don't think that most high school players even know that there is a difference most of the time. They know something is different but they don't know what. A Junior High game or an elementary level game on the big floor is a different story. Many of the elementary games are done on floors even down to 74 feet. So they would know the diffence in a heartbeat.
__________________________________________________ _________

There is a Jr. High tourney in town here every fall and they play at the local jr. college. Let me tell you, the younger players are out of gas on that 94' floor by the end of the game, especially the ones whose home gyms are 74'. One very small school has a gym that is so small they have a double mid court line. You can imagine what a shock that floor is for them.
I work a jr hi tournament here every year that is played on a college floor. The scores are always low, even for jr hi, especially the girls. And tired doesn't even begin to say it! The teams with few subs can't keep it up the whole game, and never win.