The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical during Halftime (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/20988-technical-during-halftime.html)

brainbrian Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:34am

Last night, a technical foul was assessed at halftime. The kid shoots his two free-throws to start the second half. Then how do we determine who gets the ball? (Assuming the above is the correct procedure.)

1. Team who shot the free-throws
2. Go to possession arrow like the normal start of the second half
3. None of the above

ChrisSportsFan Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by brainbrian
Last night, a technical foul was assessed at halftime. The kid shoots his two free-throws to start the second half. Then how do we determine who gets the ball? (Assuming the above is the correct procedure.)

3. None of the above

Go with #3, turn off the lights and everybody goes home. :)

bob jenkins Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:43am

Quote:

3. None of the above

FED: #1 (the penalty for a T includes posession of the ball)

NCAA: #2 (after the T, resume at POI), assuming it wasn't a flagrant T or an intentional T (NCAAM only), or excessive TOs (NCAAW only)

M&M Guy Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:43am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:

3. None of the above

Go with #3, turn off the lights and everybody goes home. :)

I like that idea, but I don't think it's one of the prescribed mechanics in the book.

Team A is assessed the T, team B shoots 2 free throws to start the half, and team B gets the ball at halfcourt. The arrow does not change, because there is no AP throw-in involved. Team B gets the ball because of the T penalty. So, if the arrow is pointing to B, they will also get the next AP throw-in as well.

M&M Guy Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:46am

And, of course, Bob beat me to it - that's for Fed. rules. In NCAA, with POI, you shoot the T, then go to the AP throw-in.

(Damn, I've got to learn how to type with more than one finger...)

brainbrian Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:08am

Thanks guys. I guess I should have specified I was talking about NFHS rules. Mighty quick also might I add.

The Technical was dished out for the coach yelling, "Go ahead and give me a technical, I don't care." After yelling about a bunch of bad calls. Isn't this just an automatic technical in your book or not?

ChrisSportsFan Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:16am

Quote:

Thanks guys. I guess I should have specified I was talking about NFHS rules. Mighty quick also might I add.

The Technical was dished out for the coach yelling, "Go ahead and give me a technical, I don't care." After yelling about a bunch of bad calls. Isn't this just an automatic technical in your book or not?

Are you admitting that they were bad calls or is that just his words? :)
Brian, you know you can't make bad calls when there could possibly be a Jr. High Scout in the building looking at those young-uns. I'm guessing they were youngsters if you working on a Wed night. Was this at TPF?

brainbrian Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:19pm

Quote:

Are you admitting that they were bad calls or is that just his words? :)
Oh LOL, yeah, those were his words. I thought there was little wrong with my officiating that game.

Quote:

Brian, you know you can't make bad calls when there could possibly be a Jr. High Scout in the building looking at those young-uns. I'm guessing they were youngsters if you working on a Wed night. Was this at TPF?
Yeah, it was at TPF. First game was HS JV Boys, I might have called it a bit tight the first 5 minutes still thinking I was in the HS V girls game from the night before, my partner said I was fine though. 1st half foul count was 7-0 at one point and 12-3 at the half, everyone really loved that, let me tell ya. :D The technical was in an 8G game.

But is a coach literally asking for a technical an automatic technical in your opinion?

drothamel Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:37pm

If he yells his demand for the tech, sure. I also like when they ask for the second one!

Snake~eyes Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

3. None of the above

FED: #1 (the penalty for a T includes posession of the ball)

NCAA: #2 (after the T, resume at POI), assuming it wasn't a flagrant T or an intentional T (NCAAM only), or excessive TOs (NCAAW only)

excessive timeouts during halftime? That sure wouldn't be good... ;)

Mark Padgett Thu Jun 23, 2005 08:07pm

Quote:

The Technical was dished out for the coach yelling, "Go ahead and give me a technical, I don't care."

You and your partner should go up to him and have one of you say, "We assume you were talking to both of us", then each of you give him a T.

Buh-bye!

ace Thu Jun 23, 2005 08:56pm

Yeah, coach asks for it, DONT give him what he wants.... now if he's acting an absolute monkey and it goes beyond asking for a technical, then yeah, *WHACK* sit down... but if he justs asks for it, let him look like an idiot and embarass himself a little while longer, unless its directly affecting the play or causing the gym to become VERY unfriendly.

ChuckElias Thu Jun 23, 2005 09:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ace
Yeah, coach asks for it, DONT give him what he wants....
I've never been able to understand this idea. I guess I'm not smart enough to know if he wants it or if he's just out of his mind. If he asks for it, I give it to him.

Quote:

now if he's acting an absolute monkey
I thought he was acting like an absolute monkey. He just yelled, "Go ahead and give me the technical!"

Snake~eyes Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by ace
Yeah, coach asks for it, DONT give him what he wants....
I've never been able to understand this idea. I guess I'm not smart enough to know if he wants it or if he's just out of his mind. If he asks for it, I give it to him.

Quote:

now if he's acting an absolute monkey
I thought he was acting like an absolute monkey. He just yelled, "Go ahead and give me the technical!"

I agree with Chuck, I will always give the coach a technical foul if he wants it.

Nevadaref Fri Jun 24, 2005 04:38am

Quote:

... yelling about a bunch of bad calls.
= automatic technical

That is what you should understand.